Joining Copper pipe PVC/CPVC

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by BenRVT, Feb 13, 2020.

1. BenRVT

BenRVT New Member

Today I saw a 1.25 inch (inner diameter) FPT X FPT PVC coupling joining two sections of copper pipe.

I know typically if your going to join copper and PVC (with threads) you should use male PVC and female copper. I've never seed one PVC coupling joining to copper pipes.

Is this allowed, or is this a code violation?

Thanks!

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    Depending on WHAT is in the pipes, it may not be a violation, but it is surely someone's lapse in judgement to do it.

BenRVT likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

BenRVT likes this.
  4. BenRVT

BenRVT New Member

Sorry I should have specified. It is water for a sprinkler system.

5. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    If it is outside past the backflow prevent or an anti siphon device, it doesn’t matter. The only code for irrigation systems is at the backflow or anti siphon device. After that it is only best practices. If it is in a basement you might want to change it out so it doesn't blow out one day. Florida does have some state statues for irrigation systems but it’s the placement of sprinkler heads, rain sensors and water management.

BenRVT likes this.
  6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

There exist strong female PVC couplers. They are heavier than the common ones. I am thinking of ones that can be used for connecting the pipes hanging down a deep well.

For now, you could reinforce your suspect coupler with a couple of worm gear clamps over the threaded parts.

BenRVT likes this.
  7. BenRVT

BenRVT New Member

Do you think there is a risk of of the PVC cracking without reinforcing? That's what I'm worried about. It's a schedule 40 PVC coupling.