Joining Copper pipe PVC/CPVC

Users who are viewing this thread

BenRVT

Reaction score
Today I saw a 1.25 inch (inner diameter) FPT X FPT PVC coupling joining two sections of copper pipe.

I know typically if your going to join copper and PVC (with threads) you should use male PVC and female copper. I've never seed one PVC coupling joining to copper pipes.

Is this allowed, or is this a code violation?

Thanks!

BenRVT

Reaction score
Depending on WHAT is in the pipes, it may not be a violation, but it is surely someone's lapse in judgement to do it.

Sorry I should have specified. It is water for a sprinkler system.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If it is outside past the backflow prevent or an anti siphon device, it doesn’t matter. The only code for irrigation systems is at the backflow or anti siphon device. After that it is only best practices. If it is in a basement you might want to change it out so it doesn't blow out one day. Florida does have some state statues for irrigation systems but it’s the placement of sprinkler heads, rain sensors and water management.

Reach4

Reaction score
There exist strong female PVC couplers. They are heavier than the common ones. I am thinking of ones that can be used for connecting the pipes hanging down a deep well.

For now, you could reinforce your suspect coupler with a couple of worm gear clamps over the threaded parts.

BenRVT

Reaction score
There exist strong female PVC couplers. They are heavier than the common ones. I am thinking of ones that can be used for connecting the pipes hanging down a deep well.

For now, you could reinforce your suspect coupler with a couple of worm gear clamps over the threaded parts.

Do you think there is a risk of of the PVC cracking without reinforcing? That's what I'm worried about. It's a schedule 40 PVC coupling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks