Issue with upstairs toilets in 2 story house - intermittant flushing problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

keith23464

Reaction score
Hello there. I have a two story house on a slab and in the past few months the two toilets upstairs both seem to have intermittent issues flushing. The doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. Occasionally you can try to flush one and the water will spin and slowly drain but never go all the way out. If you let it fill again and try it again it usually works fine. These toilets are backed up to each other on a common wall in separate full bathrooms. I have gone on the roof and stuck a garden hose down the vent pipe and put water down it and that seemed to flow fine. The showers and sinks in those two bathrooms also seem to drain just fine. Any suggestions?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the bowl is low on water it may not flush well.
Toilets on back to back double santee crosses can push water out of the opposing bowl during a flush. And like you say, if the toilet is refilled, it works fine.

back_to_back.jpg

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
As Terry points out, your flush issue may be caused by the toilet starting without enough water in the bowl, because flushing the opposing toilet has caused some of the water in its bowl to have siphoned or sloshed out. It's amazing what a difference it makes to have just a smidge less water in the bowl than optimal when starting a flush.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks