Is this line for water dispenser?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nikita

Reaction score
TLDR: is line D on attached photo meant for splicing in water dispenser?

I have a relatively new house in which kitchen countertop water dispenser was planned (counter hole drilled) but fixture never installed. I am about to actually install it; Insinkerator dispenser instructions say that I need to cut into a cold water line (using a T-fitting)....

However, looking at my existing plumbing setup under kitchen sink I am seeing a strange inverted-U shaped line (D. on attached photo). What is this? could this be a "stub" for my dispenser?

Thank you,

-nikita

Attachments

• water_dispenser_plumbing.jpg
    water_dispenser_plumbing.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 203

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have two extra shutoffs there. It's easy enough to check them. Turn off the stops, and then disconnect the supply line that loops. Point one end into bucket or bowl and find out which one is cold and which one is hot.
I'm guessing the one of the left is cold, but it's a 50/50 guess on my part.

Nikita

Reaction score
Oh you’re saying one is hot and one is cold? In the picture, though, the valves are open afaik. So does this not mean the hot and cold water is “mixing”. Is that safe?

You have two extra shutoffs there. It's easy enough to check them. Turn off the stops, and then disconnect the supply line that loops. Point one end into bucket or bowl and find out which one is cold and which one is hot.
I'm guessing the one of the left is cold, but it's a 50/50 guess on my part.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Nobody knows which is hot and which is cold unless we are on site.
It does look strange that both valves are open, and yes that would cross over if one is hot and one is cold. Your's is the first I've seen where they looped a couple of stops.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It will take being there to experiment, but I suppose it could be one is the actual supply, and it was intended to go to a filter, then out to the faucet...it's not particularly a normal setup. If one is hot and the other cold, you probably do want to ensure at least one of the valves is closed to prevent the cross-over. First, I'd turn one off, see if anything no longer works, then the other.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The line that is shut off is a cold water line to the refrigerator's ice maker/water dispenser. It is there in case you want to connectl your r/o unit to feed the water to the refrigerator. You can use the the "feed side" for your r/o unit.

Nikita

Reaction score
I see. I do have a refrigerator with built-in ice marker - albeit a good 15' away. Sounds like line D feeds it? I checked the line and left valve is supply and right is "sink" (updated diagram attached). So then a T fitting to cut into this line to feed both ice maker and water dispenser?

Attachments

• water_dispenser_plumbing2.jpg
    water_dispenser_plumbing2.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 176

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It looks like it is a compression fitting on the valve. I'd probably remove the valve and replace it with a dual shutoff one. You'd need to turn the water off to the house, relieve the pressure in the system by opening a low valve, put a towel underneath the valve you're going to change, and use two wrenches..,one to hold the valve from turning, and then loosen the nut towards the wall. If you're lucky, that nut will be able to be reused, or, you can remove it. If it won't pull off the pipe, you may need a puller for it. In reality, it's probably a 10-minute job. Less the next time you try to do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks