Is this a good way to handle a floor drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
I have a 2" floor drain going into a 2" p-trap and then on into a 4" main drain in the basement floor. In order to keep the trap wet over time, I did a wye off the floor drain vertical and dropped a lav sink into it. The lav will of course have its own P-trap and vent in the wall as normal. What bugs me is that the lav is joining the floor drain ahead of the floor drain vent, which is of course after the P-trap. I don't see any other way to handle this but it does seem wrong to join drains before a vent. On the other hand it doesn't seem problematic in that the lav is going through the P-trap for the floor drain so it's not possibly going to siphon that off, which I believe is the primary concern of joining drains before venting. What is the right answer here?

Reach4

Reaction score
What was the question again?

A sketch of what you propose would probably be useful.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think he is doing this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190315-104545_Draw.jpg
    Screenshot_20190315-104545_Draw.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 155

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Indirect waste, it does not affect the vent for the floor drain as the waste from the lav discharges to the inlet of the P-trap for the floor drain.
Not how I would do it but should be okay.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you do the indirect waste thing, there should not be a p-trap on the sink, and there should not be a vent pipe for the sink. I am not a plumber.

DavidTu

Reaction score
The sink CAN have a "P" trap, but not a vent.

Why can't the lav be vented? What is the principle behind that?

As for indirect drain, this is not one since there is no air-gap.

As planned/proposed, the lav would have a p-trap and be vented as normal. Downstream its drain is simply wye-d with the floor drain, both of which go through a p-trap and are vented. The lav, then, would have its own p-trap/vent and also go thru the floor drain's p-trap/vent, but not via air-gap. What principles does this design violate?

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks