Is rubber pipe insulation safe near water heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

GL77

Reaction score
My plumber installed Uponor pex pipes in my utility room. My incoming water, shutoff, tankless WH and sediment filter are in this room whose door opens to the outdoors. This is a small space, more of a closet, really. I've been told I need to insulate the pipes because every time I open the door the pipes are exposed to sunlight which is bad for the Uponor. My question is, how close can the tubular rubber pipe insulation be to the tankless water heater? There's an 18" metal flex pipe that comes out of the WH, can I go right up to this?

GL77

Reaction score
You can cover the pipes right up to the tankless unit.
I ran into a small problem, the plumber installed some of the lines pretty tight to the wall. Am I going to put undue stress on them if I force pipe insulation behind them?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks