Is PEX-A tubing easily straightened?

Users who are viewing this thread

NYGIANT

Reaction score
I've heard from several online sources that PEX-A retains little to no memory when purchased in a coil and is easily straightened. Can someone here with first hand knowledge verify if this is true?
Thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score
I do have a little first hand experience. It does have memory, but not to a horrible extent. If you put some time and effort into it, you can straighten it some, but for me it was the Talons (PEX clamps) that did most of the straightening.

I used Aquapex (PEX-A), and that is said to have less memory than the others.

Do you rotate the axis of the coil as you uncoil, or do you pull out of the side of the “Punch n’ Pull” package? I am not sure which is better.

has some info.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In order from -A to -C, the amount of crosslinking decreases. That's why you can use expansion fittings with -A, it remembers its original shape or it wouldn't shrink onto the fittings and make the seal. It's the only one that can be recovered from a kink without having to cut the kink out and using a fitting. TO do that, you need a heat gun which allows the memory to help it return to original shape easier. Any of the pex tubing will be stiffer when it's colder and more flexible when it's warm. If you're looking for neat with pex, you may have chosen the wrong material. You do need some clamps to hold it, and it will droop a bit if it gets hot.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've heard from several online sources that PEX-A retains little to no memory when purchased in a coil and is easily straightened. Can someone here with first hand knowledge verify if this is true?
Thank you!

We usually buy it in rolls as well. if we need to straighten it, we uncoil it and let it lay a while to warm up by the sun. Seems to make it easier when the material is a little warm.

Michael Young
https://homeservicestriad.com

Gsmith22

Reaction score
heat works but if you need a coil straight right now, pull the pex through an 8' (or longer) length of pvc pipe. The closer the OD of the pex fits the ID of the pvc pipe, the better this will work. pulling it through the pvc pipe will take a lot of the coiling out of it. Do it multiple times and get better results but there are diminishing returns after a few pulls. I've done this for uponor pex a but not any of the others types although I don't see why it wouldn't work for them too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks