IRC code P2706.2

Users who are viewing this thread

Cyphie

Reaction score
Code P2706.2 states that "Plumbing fixtures that are used for washing or bathing shall not be used to receive the discharge of indirect waste piping." And provides an exception for the dishwasher draining to the kitchen sink.

I am installing a high-efficiency boiler with a condensate drain. The tray for the drain has a pump. I was planning on tying the discharge into just above one of the sink P-traps similar to the dishwasher tie-in. Also for the laundry tray on the second floor, I was planning on tying into just upstream of the shower P-trap. After reading that code it seems that would not be allowed. If that is not allowed then where in the house can I drain it without having to worry the P-trap will dry out over time? Am I misreading this?

Thanks

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not incredibly familiar with IRC but it sounds like they don't want the indirect drain to be run to the Inside of the bathing fixture itself.. like not draining a water heater relief inside of the shower walls or bathtub. Connecting to the tailpiece of the shower seems fine.

However, they do provide two exceptions which are a dishwasher connecting to the trap of the kitchen sink and a clothes washer dumping into a laundry sink.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont think the code is meant to include dumping dishwasher into kitchen sink at all . but id have to look but into wye underneath .
I think you have something wrong your laundry sink cant share a ptrap with shower ?
condensate for boiler I think can wye into a kitchen sink tailpiece

Cyphie

Reaction score
I dont think the code is meant to include dumping dishwasher into kitchen sink at all . but id have to look but into wye underneath .
I think you have something wrong your laundry sink cant share a ptrap with shower ?
condensate for boiler I think can wye into a kitchen sink tailpiece
So the dishwasher does tie above the P-trap kitchen sink using a wye like most houses. I believe per the IRC and plumbing codes, the dishwasher water would be considered indirect waste and IRC code P2706.2 allows that indirect waste to be discharged there via the exception. The question I have is can I tie an indirect heater condensate into the sink using the same wye method and pass inspection or would they consider it a violation of P2706.2

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
So the dishwasher does tie above the P-trap kitchen sink using a wye like most houses. I believe per the IRC and plumbing codes, the dishwasher water would be considered indirect waste and IRC code P2706.2 allows that indirect waste to be discharged there via the exception. The question I have is can I tie an indirect heater condensate into the sink using the same wye method and pass inspection or would they consider it a violation of P2706.2
If its not allowed it wont be 2706.2 that is violated if its a condesate only I see no problem with the lav connection below a lav We have those on every house here for A/C condensate

Houptee

Reaction score
What kind of piping do you have? The boiler condensate is corrosive. If you have any type of cast iron waste pipes it could corrode them. They make inline neutralizer devices if you think you might have iron pipe downstream.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Code P2706.2 states that "Plumbing fixtures that are used for washing or bathing shall not be used to receive the discharge of indirect waste piping." And provides an exception for the dishwasher draining to the kitchen sink.
My read is that this refers to dumping into the vessel itself, and that connecting to a tailpiece is a separate matter.

Cheers, Wayne

Cyphie

Reaction score
My read is that this refers to dumping into the vessel itself, and that connecting to a tailpiece is a separate matter.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks, Wayne. I believe your interpretation is correct. Thanks for your input.

Cyphie

Reaction score
What kind of piping do you have? The boiler condensate is corrosive. If you have any type of cast iron waste pipes it could corrode them. They make inline neutralizer devices if you think you might have iron pipe downstream.
You are correct. The system utilizes a neutralizer and the piping is PVC. Thanks for the response.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
coulda told ya that on christmas eve . oh yea I did , lol its nothing to worry about

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks