Intermittent pressure loss after pitless adapter replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Steven R

Reaction score
Hi all. First of all, thank you all for this forum. I've come across this forum tens of times while searching for plumbing answers, and the information has always been an immense help. This is my first post.

A few weeks ago I have my pitless adapter replaced. Since then, I have had intermittent low pressure issues. Typically when two showers are going at the same time, or when my acid neutralizer and a shower are both on. Never had this issue prior to replacing the pitless.

Since then I have replaced the pressure switch (30-50psi) and gauge, and the problem still exists. My pressure tank is ok, I think- tested the pressure and it is at 27psi. Banging on the tank it is "tinny" sound at the top, very "dull" sound at the bottom. Tested the new pressure switch, and it is reliably turning cutting in at 30 and cutting out at 50.

I have a check valve and since the house holds pressure all night, I figure there may be either a leak between the check valve and the pump, or the pump isn't delivering the pressure required to run 2 showers at the same time. I dug a trench down to the pitless to re-inspect the work (thinking the pressure of the dirt dislodged the pipe from the pitless fitting), and it is all snug and tight- no issues.

When the pitless was replaced, the plumber replaced a 3 foot section of the pipe coming to the house, adding an extra coupler in the process. Could the coupler be restricting flow? Also, the plumber cut about 3 foot of pipe between the pitless and submersible pump. Could I have a shallow well and this 3 feet made a difference?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Because this happened when you replaced the pitless, I would suspect the pitless. Could be a bad oring in the pitless, and water is leaking back down the well. Take the well cap off and look down the well with a flashlight. When the pump is running you may see water spraying out of the pitless. The check valve you have after the pitless keeps it from leaking when the pump is off. So if the oring in the pitelss is bad it will only leak when the pump is running, and maybe leaking enough to steal some of your water, which is why you have low pressure.

But if the pitless is not leaking inside the casing, some of that new plumbing maybe restricting when trying to use max flow.

Reach4

Reaction score
When your inside water pressure is low (two showers etc), what does the pressure gauge say? There could be a partial blockage after the pressure tank. Do you have a whole-house cartridge filter?

A few weeks ago I have my pitless adapter replaced. Since then, I have had intermittent low pressure issues.
What caused you to replace the pitless? Did you have a pit before, or what?

Steven R

Reaction score
When your inside water pressure is low (two showers etc), what does the pressure gauge say? There could be a partial blockage after the pressure tank. Do you have a whole-house cartridge filter?

What caused you to replace the pitless? Did you have a pit before, or what?

Pitless was corroded and leaking. Even so, still had enough pressure for two showers and the leak. No whole-house filter.

Steven R

Reaction score
Because this happened when you replaced the pitless, I would suspect the pitless. Could be a bad oring in the pitless, and water is leaking back down the well. Take the well cap off and look down the well with a flashlight. When the pump is running you may see water spraying out of the pitless. The check valve you have after the pitless keeps it from leaking when the pump is off. So if the oring in the pitelss is bad it will only leak when the pump is running, and maybe leaking enough to steal some of your water, which is why you have low pressure.

But if the pitless is not leaking inside the casing, some of that new plumbing maybe restricting when trying to use max flow.

Thanks. I'll check inside the casing today. Update since last post, I finally experienced what my family said was happening. The pressure goes down to a trickle, even with the pump on (pressure switch engaged). Hopefully it's as simple as that- then we only have to replace the o-ring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks