Installing a garbage disposal....

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Wade Lippman, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Wade Lippman

Wade Lippman New Member

I have replaced a couple in my time, but I have never installed one. My son wants one in his "new" house. Anything to be concerned about, or do I just hang it from the sink and run the output to the plumbing?

How powerful is necessary? They are vegans, so there will be no meat. Maybe I should just try to convince them to up their composting.

Oddly, the electrical is already there.

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    It can range from a "slam dunk" to "what have I gotten myself into", and it ALL depends on how the pipes in the wall were installed.

MASTERPLUMB777 likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

MASTERPLUMB777 likes this.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Yes, the biggest issue is how high, or how low the plumbing is coming out of the wall. If there was electrical there, then maybe the plumber also figured on one being there. In very old homes, often the drain is too high for a disposer. You can check the specs on your 1/3 HP disposer or more and see if you have that room.

5. Wade Lippman

Wade Lippman New Member

Apparently my son has even less talent as a photographer than he does as a plumber; but this is what the pipes look like.
    Any problems?

Attached Files:

6. dj2

dj2 In the Trades

Also, it depends on how deep is your sink.

7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    It looks like a "what have I got myself into" type of job.

8. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

1. How high is the bottom of the kitchen sink compared to where the horizontal drain line is?

2. On the next photo, show the bottom of the shallow bowl, where the disposal would go, without the blue cloth.

3. Your drain pipe for the left bowl will go behind the disposal presumably. How much distance is there between the wall and the tailpiece on that right bowl?

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-properly-route-drain-under-kitchen-sink.81423/ may give you some ideas... mirror image of your son's layout.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019