Installing a garbage disposal....

Users who are viewing this thread

Wade Lippman

Reaction score
I have replaced a couple in my time, but I have never installed one. My son wants one in his "new" house. Anything to be concerned about, or do I just hang it from the sink and run the output to the plumbing?

How powerful is necessary? They are vegans, so there will be no meat. Maybe I should just try to convince them to up their composting.

Oddly, the electrical is already there.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It can range from a "slam dunk" to "what have I gotten myself into", and it ALL depends on how the pipes in the wall were installed.

Yes, the biggest issue is how high, or how low the plumbing is coming out of the wall. If there was electrical there, then maybe the plumber also figured on one being there. In very old homes, often the drain is too high for a disposer. You can check the specs on your 1/3 HP disposer or more and see if you have that room.

disposer-cat.jpg

I'm in the cabinet ready to install a disposer and the homeowner's cat is looking down at me from the kitchen sink.

Last edited:

Wade Lippman

Reaction score
Apparently my son has even less talent as a photographer than he does as a plumber; but this is what the pipes look like.
Any problems?

sink.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Apparently my son has even less talent as a photographer than he does as a plumber; but this is what the pipes look like.
Any problems?
1. How high is the bottom of the kitchen sink compared to where the horizontal drain line is?

2. On the next photo, show the bottom of the shallow bowl, where the disposal would go, without the blue cloth.

3. Your drain pipe for the left bowl will go behind the disposal presumably. How much distance is there between the wall and the tailpiece on that right bowl?

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-properly-route-drain-under-kitchen-sink.81423/ may give you some ideas... mirror image of your son's layout.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks