Installed new Pressure Release Valve, vibration between 50-80PSI?

Users who are viewing this thread

JY2

Reaction score
Hello All,

New member, looking forward to participating in this forum!

I just replaced my pressure release value (Watts N45B M1) that was not regulating the pressure, it was reading nearly 120PSI. I replaced the part using a direct "drop-in", a Watts LF N45B M1. I used the original regulators fittings since it was compatible and simply used the new regulator and new gasket it came with.

I left the pressure screw set to the default 50PSI and noticed when someone was using the shower, the pipes would vibrate loudly while the shower was on. When they turned off the shower, the loud vibration went away.

Reading various posts on this forum I confirmed the water direction was correct on the regulator.. I took a photo of the old regulator before removing and confirmed the new part arrow is the right/same direction.

On one post someone mentioned they liked to set the pressure to 70-90PSI so I adjusted the pressure screw to about 75PSI and turned on the shower. I noticed the loud vibration quieted down considerably, so I turned off the shower and increased the pressure to 80PSI. I turned the shower back on and noticed the loud vibration was just a slight humming sound now. I turned off the shower and adjusted the pressure to 85PSI. Now when I turn ON the shower I do not hear any sounds or vibration at all.

My toliets still sound weird still after a couple of flushes, not sure if I just need to use them for a bit for the sound to go away..

Do I have a bad regulator or did I install something incorrectly?

Thank you for your advice,
JY2

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's a difference between a pressure release valve and a pressure reduction valve. Unfortunately, they both can use the same acronym. I assume you have a pressure reduction valve. Trying to use a pressure release valve could cause some issues.

Do you get those noises with any other hot water use in the house?

A PRV is on the incoming water line, and it should affect both hot and cold water use.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Is there a drain valve near the PRV? You want find the source of the noise. Is it the PRV, the cartridge in the shower, a shutoff valve somewhere, possibly the water meter? By running water say to an outside spigot, do you get this noise? A drain valve would allow you to run water with the rest of the plumbing in front of it. If there is vibration then perhaps it is the PRV. If no, then something down stream is causing it. Changing the PRV I assume you turned off the water at the house entrance so that valve is now wide open. Check the shut offs at the water meter. Maybe someone many years ago closed one of them slightly to reduce pressure while the water was running.

JY2

Reaction score
There's a difference between a pressure release valve and a pressure reduction valve. Unfortunately, they both can use the same acronym. I assume you have a pressure reduction valve. Trying to use a pressure release valve could cause some issues.

Do you get those noises with any other hot water use in the house?

A PRV is on the incoming water line, and it should affect both hot and cold water use.

You're right, it is a pressure reducing valve. I get the noise on both hot and cold water lines. The sound occurs just after the pressure reducing valve, maybe 2-3 feet away from it. No where else in the house does the sound occur. I also noticed when water is being used there is a gurgling sound in the same area.... for lack of better words it kinda sounds like gulping?

It's been a few days and at 75-80psi the sound is barely noticable... a local plumber came by and said its unusual but he doesn't think there is any harm..

JY2

Reaction score
Is there a drain valve near the PRV? You want find the source of the noise. Is it the PRV, the cartridge in the shower, a shutoff valve somewhere, possibly the water meter? By running water say to an outside spigot, do you get this noise? A drain valve would allow you to run water with the rest of the plumbing in front of it. If there is vibration then perhaps it is the PRV. If no, then something down stream is causing it. Changing the PRV I assume you turned off the water at the house entrance so that valve is now wide open. Check the shut offs at the water meter. Maybe someone many years ago closed one of them slightly to reduce pressure while the water was running.

The sound is happening very close to the pressure reducing valve, no matter what appliance I use (washing machine, toilets, showers). I did shut off the water meter coming in to my house during the installation, I'll check it again to make sure its wide open now... but wouldn't partially closing the water meter reduce the pressure and maybe lower the sound? No expert, honest question...

Reach4

Reaction score
If you call Watts, they may offer a solution.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Closing a valve partially only limits volume...the actual pressure stays the same whether you have the equivalent of a soda straw or a fire hose. Now, the volume available could drastically change, but with no flow, the pressure stays the same, regardless, and will stay there until the demand is greater than the supply.

A main shutoff may be a gate valve, or it may be one that has a seat and a washer. IF it has a washer, and that washer is loose, the flow of water can make it flutter and make sounds.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You should be able to LOOK at your installation and tell which direction for the flow, NOT depend on a photo of the old one. It is acting like it is backwards.

Reach4

Reaction score
YJ2, look for an arrow cast into the side near the input.

JY2

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to Thank everyone for their input. I did confirm my installation was correct, and ultimately, I saw another post from someone with a similar issue and they resolved the problem by simply changing the part (again). So I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it, and bought another one (same model)... sure enough the issues went away! Now at 50PSI there are no weird vibrations are sounds.

For anyone else that has the same issue, sometimes it's possible to get a bad one from the factory!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks