Inspection shows T&P trapped and no ground

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff_Bathroom

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm going to list my house and I decided to check the original inspection
report when we purchased. I had forgotten about this T&P issue. Please see the
photo. If the discharge pipe going up is not allowed, then I'm wondering why the plumber who installed this went to the trouble of doing it that way? Why not have just
more cheaply ran the discharge pipe out and down per code and also would have
been cheaper and easier? In other words, it seems there was a reason, and I was going
to cut that upward pipe out and just take it straight out and down but I didn't know
if I'd encounter some other issue as a result of removing that trap.
Also wondering where to attach the ground?

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• T&P.jpg
    T&P.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 209

Stuff

Reaction score
The rule for T&P is it can't go up - no trap allowed. There may have been something else there when that loop was put in but who knows. Just remove it and instead go over and down.

Ground should be provided by the flexible whip. Likely green wire in there as well providing ground. The green screw would only be for an external ground. Might be easiest to remove it to avoid further confusion.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Not everyong doing water heaters knows the codes.
It would be a simple fix on that to fix the drain on the T&P. It should not be trapped like that.
Normally I see a bare wire with the two hot wires for the connection. I wrap the bare wire around the exposed screw.

Jeff_Bathroom

Reaction score
The rule for T&P is it can't go up - no trap allowed. There may have been something else there when that loop was put in but who knows. Just remove it and instead go over and down.

Ground should be provided by the flexible whip. Likely green wire in there as well providing ground. The green screw would only be for an external ground. Might be easiest to remove it to avoid further confusion.

I was going to proceed as you suggest, so I'm glad you have replied as such.

Regarding the ground; I removed the plate and noted that the ground (green) was terminated
on an inside screw rather than outside, so I'm sure that is fine.
Thanks very much for responding. That gives me some level of confidence.

Jeff_Bathroom

Reaction score
Not everyong doing water heaters knows the codes.
It would be a simple fix on that to fix the drain on the T&P. It should not be trapped like that.
Normally I see a bare wire with the two hot wires for the connection. I wrap the bare wire around the exposed screw.
Thanks Terry, I'll do the T&P as y'all suggest. I think the ground is fine since I opened it up and noted the green ground was
screwed into a ground screw internally.
Thanks so much for your help.

Jeff_Bathroom

Reaction score
I'm glad it was grounded properly.
Sounds like you are almost there now. :)
Yeah, I just have to get that drain pipe fixed. Will require maybe a
22 degree elbow to turn it laterally toward the wall where it exits
the back of the garage wall. We're getting granite installed in the kitchen
tomorrow, so might not have time but I'll probably do it Saturday.
One less thing to worry about for inspection. :)

Jeff_Bathroom

Reaction score
I had to look up "heat trap" to understand what you were saying. It certainly looks like one
but seemingly in the wrong place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks