Ingredients of Cements and Primers

List of ingredients of some of the common cements, primers, cleaners etc.

1. flapper

flapper Member

flapper submitted a new resource:

Ingredients of Cements and Primers - List of ingredients of some of the common cements, primers, cleaners etc.

Read more about this resource...

2. cityfarmer123

cityfarmer123 New Member

What precautions do you all take when working with cement/primer? I've been working with the stuff professionally for at least 12 years now, and it's gotten to the point where I wear a respirator when using it. I also wear nitrile gloves but I'm always surprised by how few of people I see who don't take any precautions whatsoever. This stuff is toxic as hell! As one of our vendors put it once, "Acetone is some bad s$%#. That s#$%'s bad."

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I think it the MEK that is in the PVC primer that you should be more concerned with. Many dry-erase white board markers used MEK in the past. I don't know about now.

Acetone is what they put in regular finger nail polish remover, and it is considered to be a pretty safe solvent for inhaling.

5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Any organic solvent, used frequently, can be a health issue.

6. Terry H

Terry H In the Trades

I hear most plumbers learn to love the smell of glue, including myself. Not a good thing. I’ve gotten good breaths full before and it’ll take your breath away. Definitely should be more careful. A lot of plumbers have breathing problems down the road. One of my mentors passed from lung cancer. Between the glue, asbestos, solder and flux fumes we breathe some nasty stuff.