Ingredients of Cements and Primers

Ingredients of Cements and Primers

Users who are viewing this thread

Flapper

Reaction score
flapper submitted a new resource:

Ingredients of Cements and Primers - List of ingredients of some of the common cements, primers, cleaners etc.

Oatey Regular Clear PVC Cement: Tetrahydrofuran, Acetone, PVC Resin, Cyclohexanone, Methyl ethyl ketone
Oatey Medium Clear PVC Cement: Tetrahydrofuran, Acetone, Methyl ethyl ketone, PVC Resin, Cyclohexanone, Fumed Silica
Oatey Heavy Duty Clear PVC Cement: Tetrahydrofuran, 2-Propanone, Cyclohexanone, PVC Resin, Methyl ethyl ketone, Colloidal silicon dioxide
Oatey Rain-R-Shine PVC Cement: Tetrahydrofuran, PVC Resin, Acetone, Cyclohexanone, Methyl ethyl ketone, Fumed...

Read more about this resource...

cityfarmer123

Reaction score
What precautions do you all take when working with cement/primer? I've been working with the stuff professionally for at least 12 years now, and it's gotten to the point where I wear a respirator when using it. I also wear nitrile gloves but I'm always surprised by how few of people I see who don't take any precautions whatsoever. This stuff is toxic as hell! As one of our vendors put it once, "Acetone is some bad s$%#. That s#$%'s bad."

Reach4

Reaction score
I think it the MEK that is in the PVC primer that you should be more concerned with. Many dry-erase white board markers used MEK in the past. I don't know about now.

Acetone is what they put in regular finger nail polish remover, and it is considered to be a pretty safe solvent for inhaling.

Terry H

In the Trades
Reaction score
I hear most plumbers learn to love the smell of glue, including myself. Not a good thing. I’ve gotten good breaths full before and it’ll take your breath away. Definitely should be more careful. A lot of plumbers have breathing problems down the road. One of my mentors passed from lung cancer. Between the glue, asbestos, solder and flux fumes we breathe some nasty stuff.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks