Info on water testing needed - I have clay

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by Dan.NY, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Dan.NY

Dan.NY New Member

I am soon to be the owner of a very bad home well. It is 300 ft deep and has 1 gallon recovery rate. Casing is down 44ft. Soft rock was found until about 220 ft and hard rock was found after that. Since day one there has been a sulphur smell and what looks like clay. The driller said its collodial clay, though I don't know if that is accurate. I want to get a water test to find the particle size to see filtration system is best for my situation. Problem is I do not know if such a test exists?? If not, the question is how to tell exactly what this is in the water so I can begin to finally fix this mess. Do home test kits work for probable clay? If not... what test(s) do I want??

The well has been like this over 10 years so I don't think its going to disappear or get any better. Its also varies in the amount of "clay" and the rotten egg smell. Very very very rarely is it free of both. Rarely its free of silt and only smells bad. The toilets do have a silty film on them and the back of the tank has some amount of buildup. Given enough time, at least some of the material settles out.

I think it wise to focus on what is the exact problem first by getting tests. Advice on the tests is welcome. Comments also welcome.. Thanks.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I don't know the answer to your question. I do suggest that you put some sample water into a clear glass jar or glass. Let it sit undisturbed. See how long it takes to settle. Maybe take pictures after 1 minute, 10 minutes, 1 hour, 1 day, 3 days.

Do that, even thought you want to continue looking for that lab test.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement