Ineffective snake, solvents, everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

zep

Reaction score
Hi people. I should probably lurk more, but this is driving me insane and it's not a long trip.
I have an issue similar to https://terrylove.com/forums/index....till-backs-up-with-a-few-cups-of-water.62925/ (at least I think so), 2nd floor bathroom vanity, very slow running, tried various iterations of (any given brand MAX STRENGTH! o_O) drain cleaners... nothing. I then went the route of trying a couple different auger snakes, ran several feet in (which is kinda silly because the drain stops running with about 2/3 of the vanity full of water. (I think the drain is a 1.25 inch). I then decided to reverse course and try to fill the pipe with water, then disconnect under the sink and catch the reverse flow in a pan. moderate success, it didn't go everywhere, and I started getting out things that were very weird like plastic caps, small chunks of iron, possibly some sort of solid brick debris? pretty nasty all in all. this is a somewhat older house with lots of annoying iron drain pipe; is it possible that a large section of the pipe somehow managed to flake off and get twisted or otherwise mostly block the pipe?

I've tried to use an inspection camera and that's been pretty useless, the vertical line has an elbow just inside the wall and the camera isn't really short enough to make the turn very well. and what seems odd to me - I'll fill the vanity with hot water, pop the plunger to let the sink drain, hear water rush about 5 seconds, then it slows considerably, gurgles a few times, then some last few bubbles... and it'll be 30 minutes or so to drain. this is the only drain having issues - even the vanity on the other side of the wall is fine - I'd expect them to meet very soon in drain lines.

does anyone have some suggestions? thanks.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
take the stopper out completely, make sure the drain coming off the bottom of the sink isn't plugged, if it's clear, run the water. if it still backs up then it's in the drain, if it doesn't back up then the stopper is not opening fully.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
If you can buy a Rigid 1/8 electric snake off E bay I bought 5 of them Use once or twice and throw away I bought the same type for around $40 each

The reason I bought these very light duty cheap snakes is they are great for a standing waste attached to a lead waste and are very flexible through tight turns

Or buy a General ram jet ..

They really work great
Hi people. I should probably lurk more, but this is driving me insane and it's not a long trip.
I have an issue similar to https://terrylove.com/forums/index....till-backs-up-with-a-few-cups-of-water.62925/ (at least I think so), 2nd floor bathroom vanity, very slow running, tried various iterations of (any given brand MAX STRENGTH! o_O) drain cleaners... nothing. I then went the route of trying a couple different auger snakes, ran several feet in (which is kinda silly because the drain stops running with about 2/3 of the vanity full of water. (I think the drain is a 1.25 inch). I then decided to reverse course and try to fill the pipe with water, then disconnect under the sink and catch the reverse flow in a pan. moderate success, it didn't go everywhere, and I started getting out things that were very weird like plastic caps, small chunks of iron, possibly some sort of solid brick debris? pretty nasty all in all. this is a somewhat older house with lots of annoying iron drain pipe; is it possible that a large section of the pipe somehow managed to flake off and get twisted or otherwise mostly block the pipe?

I've tried to use an inspection camera and that's been pretty useless, the vertical line has an elbow just inside the wall and the camera isn't really short enough to make the turn very well. and what seems odd to me - I'll fill the vanity with hot water, pop the plunger to let the sink drain, hear water rush about 5 seconds, then it slows considerably, gurgles a few times, then some last few bubbles... and it'll be 30 minutes or so to drain. this is the only drain having issues - even the vanity on the other side of the wall is fine - I'd expect them to meet very soon in drain lines.

does anyone have some suggestions? thanks.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Worse comes to worse get a decent wet dry vacuum and place a rag over the over flow holes so you do not lose any suction

Reach4

Reaction score
. I then decided to reverse course and try to fill the pipe with water, then disconnect under the sink and catch the reverse flow in a pan. moderate success, it didn't go everywhere, and I started getting out things that were very weird like plastic caps, small chunks of iron, possibly some sort of solid brick debris?
Yow! Rental?

Can you use a small Brasscraft drain bladder? That is only good to the vent.

I got a RIDGID PowerSpin Plus.
ridgid-snake-145.jpg

I powered it with a drill.

I bought it for a bathroom drain, and it worked great for me. I actually went through the 1-1/4 trap, and before I knew it, it had played out about 12 ft of snake, and the blockage several feet below the santee had been cleared. I was prepared to enter at the trap adapter on the santee, but thought I would try the lazy stay-dry top entry. I know it has limitations.

I only snaked through the trap in case it worked. I was expecting to have to do more disassembly. It was really handy to be able to run water during the snaking.

But I was not dealing with masonry pieces etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

zep

Reaction score
take the stopper out completely, make sure the drain coming off the bottom of the sink isn't plugged, if it's clear, run the water. if it still backs up then it's in the drain, if it doesn't back up then the stopper is not opening fully.

I've pulled the drain line completely apart from just inside the wall to the sink, the p-trap is completely clear and empty... I can hear water rush down through the pipe into the wall, then it just kinda gurgles.

zep

Reaction score
You need to power snake it. Those hand ones are pretty much useless
I think the one I have can get a drill attached, but I have to look... yeah, the hand only thing just kinda left me angry. angry and very dirty.

zep

Reaction score
any updates? i'm in a similar situation and i do feel you

sorry, life got in the way. so I put a cordless drill on a snake similar to the rigid powerspin above, ran it quite intently. still a very, very dirty job, ... but it did open enough that it'll drain. not exactly fast, it'll keep up with the tap full open. a full sink will drain out in less than a minute, although it never drains fast. I think for me, the really real fix is going to be tearing into the walls and replacing the old, crappy iron pipes with crappy, new, plastic pipes.

thanks to everyone who offered ideas.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks