IKea wall mounted bathroom vanity install problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Wife had to have drawers, so we purchased an Ikea godmorgon vanity, the problem is, the drain coming out of the wall is too far out. I tried cutting back what I had( it protruded almost 2 inches, down to 3/4" and glued the threaded fitting back on, and it's still too far out. They have no specs on where existing plumbing needs to be to make this work, only those simple drawings

I need to move the trap about an inch back to accommodate the damn drawer. I got lucky with how the shutoff valves were positioned or that could also have been a problem.

To add insult to injury, first installed , and after it's installed, realized the drawers won't clear the door trim. now this..I am hating this thing

So any ideas on how to make this happen, see pic

Sink Drain.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Consider cutting out a bit of the back of the drawer to clear your drain plumbing.
To add insult to injury, first installed , and after it's installed, realized the drawers won't clear the door trim. now this..I am hating this thing
Isn't that a show stopper? Or do you remove the trim, install the drawers, and replace the trim?

JCH

Reaction score
The drain pipe coming down from the sink is usually more of a problem than the pipe in the wall.
IIRC, the Ikea sinks with drawers use a non-standard shoe right under the drain hole (perhaps even a bell trap) and a corrugated(!) plastic flex pipe to the wall drain connection.

I would think that they'd be prone to clogs and I have no idea where'd you ever find replacement parts.

Nice looking cabinets for a good price, but functionally questionable. My two cents.

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
I was panicking last night, between the plumbing and install issues...

I had to reinstall the cabinet 1 1/2 inches to the side. I left the original snap toggles in place and added washers to try to maintain the wall integrity.

Support is 4- 1/4 inch snap toggles, 1 in each corner, and one more in the back support bracket and one screw into a stud through the back support bracket.

Found a compact right angle online from Canplas, slip to thread in one fitting, not sold locally. Local plumbing supply did have some fittings that worked.. The space behind the drawers to the wall is 4 1/4".

See attached photo for plumbing hook up.

I'll post pic of completed project. It is starting to come together

vanity sink hook up.jpg

Last edited:

Sluggo

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not understanding this...are you combining some Ikea drawers with a cabinet that doesn't have them and that is why you are having clearance problems with the door trim? You also say you have 4-1/2" of clearance between the back of the drawers and the wall and it looks like the plumbing you've got installed would accommodate that.

If it were me, and I still had interference problems with the back of the drawer, I'd cut off an inch or two from the drawer sides and the bottom on my table saw, and then assemble it. I know it might not work on all Ikea drawers, but I have done it before on a pair I needed to modify.

ikea-rinnen-side.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Meant the drawers were hitting the bathroom door trim, was too close, poor planning, I installed it where the old standard cabinet was not taking into account the clearance needed for the drawer being pulled out

Came out nice in the end, drains as a standard sink would.

The only problem will be getting replacement parts, the sink pop up is a resting on thin plastic stem which stays up by a small intent in the plastic. Can't see that lasting

Completed Vanity.jpg
Finished piping.jpg
Pop up.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Meant the drawers were hitting the bathroom door trim, was too close, poor planning, I installed it where the old standard cabinet was not taking into account the clearance needed for the drawer being pulled out
That's what I thought you meant, except I thought the problem might be getting the drawers in rather than out. You seemed to have inside access for running plumbing.

So what did you do to cure the problem, and let the show go on? Did you leave a gap on the right?

Last edited:

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Yeah R4, gap on the right,

I also had to re-tile as the old vanity was installed before tile install.

Much more work then replacing with standard cabinet for me

Front view.jpg

Scott271

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a vanity (not an Ikea one) where I would like to do this with vessel sink. What are the plumbing parts used, and where do i find them?

Thanks in advance!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks