Ikea Rinnen drain 1.5" to 1.25" copper drain

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by pointca, Jan 14, 2021.

1. pointca

pointca New Member

Hi all, any help is appreciated. I'm trying to install an Ikea vanity and the current sink setup has the adapter pictured below - it says 1 1/2" ABS to 1 1/4" copper Bow adapter. The Ikea plumbing is 1 1/2", so I assume I need to replace it with something similar.

What can I get that will attach my 1 1/4" copper stub out to the included ikea drain pipe?

I'm in Canada where unfortunately all hardware stores are closed at the moment, so if anyone can help me with a product name or link that would be very appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    A coupling like the ones below could transition to a trap adapter. They come in many sizes and they should have a 1.25" copper to 1.5" plastic coupling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The trap adapter on the right is pipe size, the one on the left is a hub that fits over pipe.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. pointca

pointca New Member

5. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

as long as you understand what you need thats what matters

6. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

The problem with transitioning from a larger diameter to a smaller diameter drain in the horizontal position, is that you will have puddling inside the bottom of the horizontal pipe. Might be better to get an 1.5x1.25 p-trap Dearborn Brass Choked Throated Trap with an 1.25x1.25 rubber coupler (preferably metal sheilded)

Reach4 and Jeff H Young like this.
  7. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

I read it a bunch of times and cant even figure it out. never occured to me horizontal so stubbing out wall copper then going bigger abs 1 1/2 " and she is having trouble putting a trap on and adapter to a normal 1 1/4 tubular tail piece? I guess ? cant see the challenge or be sure what they are even talking about. also dont see puddling running an 1 1/2 abs if going the other way it would collect

8. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

Here is an exagerated drawing of what a larger diameter trap arm connected to a smaller diameter trap arm looks like. Not life threatening, just that there is a P-Trap specifically made to connect to a 1.5" vertical sink waste and connect to a 1.25" trap arm/adapter. I have one sitting on my desk right now.

flooded trap arm.png