iBox - have norms for rough heights changed? (and fit issue)

Users who are viewing this thread

Rossn

Reaction score
2-part question....

I'm roughing in an iBox for a shower/tub. I have looked at many threads here that all say around 30-32" from tub floor is the normal height for this valve... but -- all those threads were pre-2010.

In modern day, are people placing these valves higher for a tub/shower combo, and up to 42-28"? Or is that just not a good idea and a typo in the iBox instructions?

The iBox instructions actually say 42-48" for a tub/shower valve when using a diverter valve for the tub, which is quite a bit different and surprised me. My architect friend says he usually aims around 36", which is higher than older thinking.37-38" feels good for me standing, but I am 6', and my 6 year old isn't.

2nd question is a fit issue. See below... There is a lot going on in this wall space, and best I can figure is to use this type of a setup, lowering the valve to 35", or raising the washer boxes a few inches. Open to any additional ideas on this one. Will be running 1/2" copper, though the 3/4" PressxMIP adapater is shorter than the 1/2" with a reducing bushing (right side). Any alternate recommendations on this one?

Washer drain really cannot move further left in the picture, due to the fitting sizes (shown below).

wd_tub-shower_rough.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When lower, you might be able to adjust or shut off the valve while sitting in the tub, but having it higher can make the more common showering situation easier...there are no codes on this, so it's pretty much put it where you want as long as it isn't so low, it might be underwater!

If children share the shower, then if they're doing this unattended, you'd want it low enough for them to reach...otherwise, they'll grow. and you may want it higher.

FWIW, a lot of the original recommendations were made 70-years ago or so...the kitchen counter height 'standard' of 36" was determined by the height of the average female adult at the time. Lots of people a much taller today. The ideal height for a kitchen counter, if you're interested, is about 3" below your elbow when your forearm is horizontal...lower if you're going to do something like knead bread, but otherwise, that's a good height. You'll find you can buy vanities that are taller now, too for the same reasons.

Rossn

Reaction score
Thanks, definitely understand the small changes, but Hansgrohe recommending 42-48" on a tub/shower combo? I take it that is not a normal number today? Just making sure I don't do something out of the ordinary, which they seem to be suggesting.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Stand in the tub/shower and reach out comfortably and see where you hand ends up. Do that with your wife and children...make sure that everyone can reach it, then just go with it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks