I used too much flux -- flushing didn't clear it

Users who are viewing this thread

JMThomas

Reaction score
I ran hot and cold copper water lines to a new half bathroom. Each line is maybe 50 feet with a dozen joints (had a few turns getting through!)

I'm guilty of double fluxing and using WAY too much flux, inside and out, and undoubtedly pushed a lot of it into the pipe. (Me culpa!) The flux was Otey #95 Lead Free Tinning Flux, which I've had open for a year or maybe even two.

I removed the aerator from the sink and ran both hot and cold lines 50% open for half an hour. I still have a terrible taste of flux, and ironically the hot water is worse than the cold. (One would expect the heated water to dissolve/transport the flux better than the cold...)

It is reasonable (not difficult) to open the new lines again where they take off from the pre-existing plumbing and run something special through them, if that would help.

Has anyone fixed this problem?

Thanks!

PS: I've leaned my lesson about fluxing, so let's concentrate on undoing the damage I've already done.

Seaofnames

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.boilermakers359.org
It would have helped to 'mix' the flux up before if its been sitting.

You may have to just unsweat it all. Its impossible to say where the flux is holding onto.

How big is the pipe?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flux

Normally, if you heated the joints properly to make the solder connection the flux would have "burnt" off, and all that would be left was the solder which would have "tinned" the copper, but not left a taste.

handymom

Reaction score
maybe

Is it possible you are tasting/smelling extra solder instead of flux? Too much flux will make the solder "puddle" in the pipe.

JMThomas

Reaction score
  • @seaofnames, 1/2 copper, actually run about 46' judging from my remaining pieces.

• @handymom, solder alloy is supposedly tasteless. Putting some in my mouth (the lead free stuff!) only gave slight tingle because of the "battery" reaction with my fillings.

• I've flushed hot and cold separately, full blast, for probably an hour each. My spouse says the cold side now tastes OK, but the hot side still has the problem.

Since we don't drink hot water, we'll leave this thing be for a while and see what normal use will do. However, I don't expect this bath to get a lot of use, so who knows how long it will be before the hot side ever clears up, if ever?

• Internet research located a group of people distilling spirits talking about how clean the copper flasks and condensers should be to avoid problem chemicals in their product. Turns out the want pure copper leading off the flask into the condenser to catalyze some reactions, and clean their reactor with lemon juice and un-iodized salt. (This also works with copper bottom skillets.)

Since my problem is probably the resin base (carrier) in the flux, I don't think the acid/salt trick would do much for me.

Last edited:

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Flux In Line

I ran hot and cold copper water lines to a new half bathroom. Each line is maybe 50 feet with a dozen joints (had a few turns getting through!)

I'm guilty of double fluxing and using WAY too much flux, inside and out, and undoubtedly pushed a lot of it into the pipe. (Me culpa!) The flux was Otey #95 Lead Free Tinning Flux, which I've had open for a year or maybe even two.

I removed the aerator from the sink and ran both hot and cold lines 50% open for half an hour. I still have a terrible taste of flux, and ironically the hot water is worse than the cold. (One would expect the heated water to dissolve/transport the flux better than the cold...)

It is reasonable (not difficult) to open the new lines again where they take off from the pre-existing plumbing and run something special through them, if that would help.

Has anyone fixed this problem?

Thanks!

PS: I've leaned my lesson about fluxing, so let's concentrate on undoing the damage I've already done.

Thats one of the reasons that most commercial plumbing jobs require the water lines to be sterilized before they are turned over for use, if your problem persists you will need to get an outfit that specializes in this service; I don't think that you can be ingesting flux for any length of time! :eek:

JMThomas

Reaction score
Investigating Oatey #95, the MSDS shows the problem ingredient to be petrolatum, aka Petroleum Jelly.

In theory, a very strong degreaser might work.

genovese

Reaction score
Investigating Oatey #95, the MSDS shows the problem ingredient to be petrolatum, aka Petroleum Jelly.
In theory, a very strong degreaser might work.

Indeed. People tell me that the taste goes away slowly, which makes sense if the funk is not very soluble in water and is only released slowly by the grease. I've noticed that it dissipates faster in HOT water lines, which I suspect tend to liquefy and flush away some of the the greasy film. It's a shame that so many plumbing books talk about fluxes and plug the author's favorite one, but don't mention the existence of WATER-SOLUBLE FLUX specifically for potable water lines. That's what I'll try next time.

I had my own !oh-my-god! moment, using this same flux. This fixed it 100% as far as I can tell:
1. Turn water heater to HOT.
2. Shop for:
a. Cheap garden hose
b. Adapters to connect hose to your new run.
c. Powdered ESPRESSO MACHINE DETERGENT (many brands: Joe Glo, Cafiza, Puro Caf, Puly Caf, etc. Similar to dishwasher detergent, without the extra junk: no dye, fragrance, or anti-spot. Tough on skin).
3. Connect the above between laundry hot tap and your new stinky copper run.
4. If your home has a PRV, dial it down to say 25psi to protect the hose.
5. Preheat the pipes: run tap until new copper is fully hot, then turn off.
6. Disconnect hose inlet and use a funnel to introduce 1-3 tablespoons detergent (depending on length of pipe). Reconnect.
7. Run enough water to fill the new run with hot solution. Best to open the far end and verify that it's coming out hot and soapy, then shut it off at that end and wait at least 10 minutes, but don't let it get cold.
8. Rinse through with hot water until smell and "slippery" feel are gone.
9. Restore your normal hookup.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; but don't mention the existence of WATER-SOLUBLE FLUX specifically for potable water lines. That's what I'll try next time.

You do that, and then you will probably be back here asking, "Why don't my solder joints flow properly?", or, "How come I have leaks in my solder joints?"

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've soldered a fair amount of stuff, and bought some water soluable flux and it was terrible. I then tried some tinned water soluable stuff and it worked decently. The older stuff always worked, and I still prefer it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks