How to Troubleshoot AutoTrol 460i controller

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, Questions and Answers' started by SuburbanDadio, Dec 7, 2018.

1. SuburbanDadio

SuburbanDadio New Member

Greetings,

I'm working on a Pentair/Autotrol system that is not generating. This entire unit is only three years old!

I can verify that each function works by manually (backwash, brining, flush, etc) going through the cycles by manually moving the slotted button, but regeneration (pushing the button) just gives me a humming noise. I have removed and cleaned jet/filter (which were clean anyway). If I pop the button in for a manual regen, it will hum and pop back within 20 seconds or so.

Have also disconnected the valve shaft from the timer, but haven't tried to run the control w/o it connected to the valve shaft. Thinking the motor itself is not working?

Any advice appreciated folks!

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Failed motor sounds probable to me, but it could be a gear problem.
    You could work around this temporarily by turning the camshaft by hand after disengaging the drive.

I have done that with the non-electronic predecessor. Maybe also, pull the timer. See if the motor and gears turn without the load of moving the camshaft.

I am not a pro.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. SuburbanDadio

SuburbanDadio New Member

Reach4- Thanks for the tips, I'll pull the timer and see if the motor functions without load. If it doesn't well that's the problem. Want to take some time as these units are NOT cheap and don't seem to be available used.

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

6. SuburbanDadio

SuburbanDadio New Member

7. old

old Member

This is normal.

Reconnect the cam (the cam is keyed, be careful you put it back correctly) then push the regeneration button and walk away for for awhile (~2hrs) will it complete a regeneration or does the cam get stuck in one position?

If a 460i is not regenerating automatically it's usually a stuck turbine wheel. Run some water and look at the display. There should be a blinking light between the two digits. If you do not see a blinking light the controller is not metering water. If it's not metering water it won't regenerate automatically.