460i System

Users who are viewing this thread

Dick Tchairdjian

Reaction score
I have a 18 year old water softener system with a 460i Controller. It has 24,000 grain capacity and set for 7lb salt use per generation. There’s only my wife and I now and we use 10-15 cubic meter of water per months. The system is set for 12 hardness and the capacity at 16,000 grain.

lately, the I noticed the water felt hard and when I went downstairs to check it out, I realized that the surge protector had somehow been turned off. Once I turned it back on, I had to reset the time and wanted to do a Manual Regeneration. So I did what the manual says - pressed down the button and let it go... but nothing is happening. How long does it take for the regeneration to start? Immediately or at the usual 2:00 am? I waited more than 10 minutes but nothing. The button also is sticking... when I press it it goes in and stays there but then pops out after a few seconds. What does that mean? Do I need to manually turn the button using a screw driver?

Also as a side, I noticed, the PM red dot is not coming on when setting the time...

Reach4

Reaction score
I had a predecessor. I think you need to push the button in as you turn the button CCW to the beginning of the backwash position.

I am not sure that just pressing and waiting won't trigger regen, but in the older unit, I had to rotate.

You may need a big flat blade screwdriver, or you may be able to turn with your fingers. Don't use a smaller screwdriver, or that could degrade the button.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Agreed, I have not worked on one of the controllers in a decade but if I recall correctly you need to push and turn slightly to get the timer motor off the idler section of the gearing.
upload_2021-1-16_7-19-22.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks