How to remove tub strainer-drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Newtoncd

Reaction score
We purchased an older home and the tub is original (olive green).

The basement under is unfinished and when the tub drains, it leaks down in the unfinished basement.

Since the drain is leaking and the trip-lever is broken, I thought it would be easier to replace the drain with a pop-up and just put a round plate over the old trip-lever.

However, for the life of me, I cannot figure how out to remove the strainer/drain (I can take a picture of the drain from below if that is needed) to replace it. For the drain, there is no screw to remove and was hoping someone could provide a bit of help to this tub/drain novice.

Thank you and happy holidays.

Screenshot 2022-12-26 10.56.05 AM - v1.png

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The screen at the drain should lift out, maybe pry with a flat blade screwdriver.
Once the screen is lifted out, these are some of the tools I have to remove the drain.

dumbell_wrench.jpg

tub-tools-terrylove.jpg

Newtoncd

Reaction score
Thank you Terry. I was wondering if it would just pry out, but didn't want to do that without asking you experts first. I have the tool you reference and will work on removing the strainer and report back.

Newtoncd

Reaction score
Okay, you were so helpful ... was able to put a screwdriver in and pry it up (I originally thought the screen would come out in once piece, so I had focused on the wrong section to try and pry it up.
Next step: Take that tool you referenced and remove counter-clockwise, correct?

Screenshot 2022-12-26 11.50.38 AM.png

Last edited:

Newtoncd

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips ... wasn't sure if I needed plumbers putty, but figured it couldn't hurt. Tub now holds water, doesn't leak underneath and drains well.

Thanks again.

Screenshot 2022-12-27 4.53.47 PM-v1.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks