Trip Lever Tub Stopper Doesn't....Stop!

Users who are viewing this thread

buckyswider

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a tub which hasn't been used for a bath in a while. The kid recently tried that. The trip lever, although wonky, seemed to travel fully in both directions. So I pulled the linkage out and slopped some plumber's grease on the stopper (along with removing years of hair from the drain and seemingly clearing the entire lateral portion to the drain). Still would not hold water.

So I popped the access panel and removed the tailpiece (?) and lever plate and did my best at cleaning out where the stopper bottoms onto. Smeared some naval jelly and let it sit. Still nothing. I eventually, with the tailpiece removed, shoved the stopper down into its seat as firmly as I could without risking losing it for good. Then I ran water into the tub. Seemed to slow the outflow a bit, but not much.

I poked an observation cam down there...and it seems a little corroded, but not severely. So what's my next step? Does the copper stopper ever deform on its own, or is it always the drainpipe/receptacle portion? That part seems a little daunting for a DIY replacement. No markings on the drain grate nor the overflow plate. Faucet is a moentrol, so that's my best guess for the stopper.

Thanks!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm assuming you have the one on the left in the picture. The plunger sits above the tee to allow the tub to drain. Not being used for a long time a line of soap scum, mineral deposits, etc., has formed below the plunger so it cannot fall down to block the tee. The pipe is brass, not copper. Do not use any kind of grease. It will catch and hold anything going by especially hair. Maybe some WD-40 on the plunger. To clear it with the lever and cover off but not removed, pour down white vinegar and some down the drain and let it sit a few hours. My supermarket sells it in 2 quart bottles and inexpensive.

tubtrip.jpg

buckyswider

Reaction score
I'm assuming you have the one on the left in the picture. The plunger sits above the tee to allow the tub to drain. Not being used for a long time a line of soap scum, mineral deposits, etc., has formed below the plunger so it cannot fall down to block the tee. The pipe is brass, not copper. Do not use any kind of grease. It will catch and hold anything going by especially hair. Maybe some WD-40 on the plunger. To clear it with the lever and cover off but not removed, pour down white vinegar and some down the drain and let it sit a few hours. My supermarket sells it in 2 quart bottles and inexpensive.

View attachment 76360

Correct, the one on the left, thanks! What do you mean "cover off and not removed"? The trip lever cover or the drain cover? In its current state, I'm thinking any vinegar I pour down there will just flow down the drain...

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pull the guts out. Remove the tub drain. Install toe tap.

Maybe $30 for the tools and new drain.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the brass is all in good shape, then it should work. If the plunger is depressed fully and it still lets water pass then replace it, preferably with a plastic glue together drain assembly with a Lift and Turn stopper. They have 1 or 2 working part which is fully repairable or replaceable from up top.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks