How To Clear Cast Iron Basement Drain

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by DiYGuy2021, Apr 27, 2021.

1. DiYGuy2021

DiYGuy2021 New Member

Hello. When I moved into my home, and had the inspection done, I was told the basement drain had a blockage in the trapped portion of the drain. I notice there is a plug on the side of the drain. What is the best way in proceeding to clear this drain?

20210427_145711.jpg

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The plug, if you can remove it, is where you can run the snake.

Tuttles Revenge likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Also, you may be able to vacuum sediment from the trap with a wet-dry vac.

5. DiYGuy2021

DiYGuy2021 New Member

6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

The other part -- the hole at the bottom of the bowl.

If you pull the red cap, that is for sticking a snake into. Maybe even a small or medium drain bladder would work.

In the picture below, that angled piece connects to a plug in the floor drain bowl. That plug is there to allow cleanout access.

[​IMG]

7. DiYGuy2021

DiYGuy2021 New Member

Alright. Thanks. I will try the non-plugged portion first to clear. I wonder how the inspector would have known the issue was the trapped portion, though...

8. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

They probably poured water into the drain and watched it not drain.

FWIW, those old cast iron traps are simply too tight of a radius to get a drain snake through, that is why there is a plug for that purpose. You can cable a bit down the trap, but then follow that with a wet vac to get as much of everything out.

9. DiYGuy2021

DiYGuy2021 New Member

Thanks. So, if they poured water in it, and it filled up quick, that would tell you it was in the trapped portion because, if it was further down the line, they would have needed to pour a larger amount of water in it to see the backup?

10. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

Perhaps.. Im saying more likely they poured x amount of water into the trap and observed it fill up to the top.. and not go anywhere.. thus clogged.. How much or how long is not known to us.. But you could perform the same task yourself to calculate that..

11. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

diyguy2021, I wouldn't worry about what inspector said or how he figured it out. but worry about the facts is drain plugged? then un plug. it likely is at trap. shop vac and a wire coat hangar what ever you have. if you remove plug and water can drain freely down hole then you know its the trap. if it doesn't drain then you know you have a back up downstream

12. DiYGuy2021

DiYGuy2021 New Member

It was the trap. I used the wet vac method, and it worked great. Thanks for the help.

13. Michael Young

Michael Young In the Trades

Last house I lived in, all of the floor drains were clogged. I had to use a shop vac first before i was able to get my cable through and get them running again.