How long do copper water lines last?

Users who are viewing this thread

jod78

Reaction score
What's the avg. lifespan of copper lines? I'm talking about all indoor lines, nothing underground.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
decades or centuries. Check back again in two hundred years. :D

A lot depends on the water. The longest lasting installations have not yet reached their lifespan. The oldest copper is less than 100 years old, AFAIK.

david

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
25 years is pushing it down here! So many houses down here are/have been getting repiped for cpvc.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depends a lot on the water chemistry and the soil (for supplies). When used for drains, depends on what you put down them.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
pipe_chlorine.jpg

Here is a copper waste line to a toilet.
The homeowners didn't flush at night, trying to save water.
Look what happened to the bottom of the pipe. The home was built in 1965

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
10 years ago I had to replace copper water lines to two buildings adjacent to each other. One had been a garage, the other a cafe. That was around 1998. All of the pipe under concrete was pitted and had several leaks. These buildings were constructed around 1965. I've also seen the same problem with galvanized water lines installed in the 1950's and 1960's that are not under concrete. The area is full of coal and iron deposits, lots of sandstone and red clay.

Lee Polowczuk

Reaction score
A couple of years ago, my parents house developed some pin hole leaks in a few pipes.

House built in 1968. Pennsylvania well water

sinkholed

Reaction score
Wow...great question & eye-opening answers. Making me think maybe I should replace the copper supply lines in the bathrooms I'm redoing (house is 34 years old).

Construct30

Reaction score
I read somewhere that some of the new copper pipe has a lot more impurities in it than the old pipe did, so it goes bad quicker. Also do not over do it with the flux, it keeps the green layer from growing inside the pipe and that is what helps to protect the pipe from electrolysis. Some plumbers are in the habit of dipping the pipe into the flux can, use a brush. You have to get a nice layer on the pipe and fitting, but don't go overboard.

The electrical codes require the copper pipes to be grounded, but it is bad for the pipe, but very necessary. Use PEX pipe it will last about as long if properly installed, the electricians will stay away from it.

mark

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks