How Is This Pitless Adapter Different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Regis Tration

Reaction score
My well has a copper pipe that appears to rise from the pitless adapter (please see the pictures). The copper pipe has a plug at the top. The pipe is pressurized when the well pump runs. I looked at a new pitless adapter and the threaded hole in the top is for a "pull pipe" and is not even open to the pressurized water. The well is for a summer cabin and at the end of the summer I remove the plug and siphon out the water that is above the pitless adapter. Was the pitless adapter modified, possibly for winterization? Why would the well be constructed this way and what should I do when I need to replace the pitless adapter? Thank you.
100_0372-10%.jpg
100_0373-10%.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Looks like it was rigged up for a hydrant or faucet. You can probably just put a plug in place of the up pipe. But you still need to be able to connect a pull pipe when needed.

Regis Tration

Reaction score
Looks like it was rigged up for a hydrant or faucet. You can probably just put a plug in place of the up pipe. But you still need to be able to connect a pull pipe when needed.
Thank you. Now that I think about it, removing the plug at the top of the pipe in the picture and also removing a small plug from the check valve at the tank is the only way to allow the water to drain back into the well so that the pipe from the well to the tank doesn't freeze. Did the installer drill a hole in the pitless adapter? Is there a better way to drain the water back into the well?

Regis Tration

Reaction score
Instead of drilling a hole in the pitless adapter, could I connect a tee to the bottom of the pitless adapter, with the other end of the tee connected to the drop pipe, and the side of the tee connected to an elbow going up to the vertical drain pipe? This would seem like a better design than drilling a hole in the pitless adapter. Please see the diagram. Thank you.

Attachments

• Diagram of Proposed Pitless Drain.png
    Diagram of Proposed Pitless Drain.png
    174.2 KB · Views: 469

Reach4

Reaction score
Not all trapezoidal type pitless adapters are compatible. I don't know how much interchangeability to hope for, but people have said not much interchangeability.

If you have to change the pitless, you/they will have to dig down outside of the casing. If that happens, you can tee to your new yard hydrant outside of the casing. That new hydrant will be self-draining.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks