How do You pronounce "potable" ?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by cjlambert, Jul 25, 2019.

?

Do you say "Poe-table" or "Paw-table"?

1. Poe-table

2. Paw-table

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. cjlambert

cjlambert Red-Seal Licensed Plumber

Magician
    Hi everyone, my name's Chris. I'm new here. I've been plumbing for about 15 years, licensed for 10. I've worked mostly in new-construction of high-rise condominiums, but have also worked, and am currently working in new-construction and renovation of custom homes. I take pride in my work and am very particular. I am fortunate to have found employment where I am allowed, even encouraged to spend that bit of extra time and make everything nice.

Anyways, I just wanted to quickly introduce myself. I've thrown my two cents into a few threads on this forum already, hopefully providing some degree of assistance to the OP... but I've also come across some interesting and thought-provoking posts as well, which I wasn't really expecting. So I look forward to being a part of the community. Thanks for having me!

TL;DR

I'm fairly confident it's pronounced "poe-table," but I always say "paw-table" when speaking, because for whatever reason, I assume that's the pronunciation most people are familiar with.

I remember someone once explaining to me, "Yeah, its 'paw-table.' Like, you can put the water in a pot and cook with it, or drink it." I didn't, and still don't agree with this logic, but hey, I'm no English major.

So I'm curious, how do You say it?
    Cast your vote, I'm interested to see the results.

Thanks! :)

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    pot-able

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Stuff

Stuff Well-Known Member

Dictionary says it is a long O but I've never heard it pronounced that way.

5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    The dictionary says it is Pode-able with a long O.

6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Some people pronounce potash with a long O. I don't like that.

I am up in the air regarding Urine-us vs yer-Anus.

7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Oh no...........I voted before scanning down and now I find that I'm wrong! Darn, Darn, Darn.

8. JohnCT

JohnCT Member

Pote a bull

John

9. ImOld

ImOld Octogenerian

I find it interesting that there is conflict in the pronunciation of 'potable' by people in the US plumbing trade. It is a very common word used to describe water and piping safe for human consumption. The OP is from Canada and the many Canadians I have spoken to have a very distinctive sound to the letter 'O' . The OP is from Toronto which has a ton of Americans that work and live there so I guess any sound will do! JohnCT has the correct representation, probably because both of us are from the NorthEast.

10. Cool Blue Harley

Cool Blue Harley One Dumb Plumber

How do you pronounce notable?

11. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

This question was votable. My dictionary is totable. This thread is quotable. :)

12. dj2

dj2 In the Trades

I spell it "drinking water".