How do I replace the pipes underneath kitchen sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

greatdeals_007

Reaction score
I would like to replace the ABS pipes under the sink and had some questions.

1. which parts actually have to be glued?
2. what do I do if I can't get the ring nut off?
3. is there an adapter or coupling type that is threaded that I could use instead of gluing everything?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
sink_dw_hot.jpg

Mostly we use tubular fittings for a kitchen sink. Some places want glued fittings for a kitchen, but I don't see a good reason for it. With tubular and slip nuts you can remove and clean often if needed. Not something you ever do with glued. These are 1-1/2" pipe fittings.

These can be cut to length and assembled using the slip joint nuts and washers.

p-trap_with_adapter.jpg

greatdeals_007

Reaction score
thanks for the photo.

at the store the p trap comes with a slip nut but I noticed there is no washer. is that normal?
also what does the pipe called going across from the tail pipe to the garbage disposal? is this glued in any places at all? is there suppose to be washers inside all the slip nuts?

Reach4

Reaction score
The piece that is glued and lets you transition from slip fittings is called a trap adapter. You can get one that is threaded, if you are connecting to threaded pipe or a threaded drain fitting, such as a sanitary tee.
thanks for the photo.
A photo does tell the story better than words. Hint;).
at the store the p trap comes with a slip nut but I noticed there is no washer. is that normal?
Some brands have washers, and some don't. Many come with washers.
also what does the pipe called going across from the tail pipe to the garbage disposal? is this glued in any places at all?
That piece is called a "discharge tube" Some are straight. Some are curved.

For a set of slip fittings that includes a straight discharge tube, and that you can arrange and cut to your situation, search for a "disposal kit" or "disposer kit". https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=disposal+kit

Last edited:

greatdeals_007

Reaction score
is there any reason to use ABS vs PVC?
unable to find an adapter to convert from ABS to PVC?
1 1/2" PVC seems smaller than 1 1/2" ABS - why? shouldn't they be the same?
PVC section had a lot more options and kits vs ABS section. where would it make sense to logically cutover? is it at the tail pipe or near the waste?

Reach4

Reaction score
For the slip, use what is available. Actually in slip fittings, white does not mean PVC; those are usually polypropylene. There are black polypropylene slip fittings too.
traps-a9704-64_145.jpg

For slip, you can actually mix brass and plastic if you are not concerned about the appearance matching, and find the thing you want available in a different material.

For a glue-on trap adapter, you match what you glue to. If threading onto steel, does not matter which you use.

greatdeals_007

Reaction score
I wanted to minimize gluing any parts to make it easier to clean out the pipes when needed. however I did not expect the ABS pipes to be
so difficult to find all the necessary parts. the white or polypropylene section seems to have a lot more kits and washers, etc but I noticed the 1 1/2" is actually smaller in diameter than the 1 1/2 abs - it seems to be more like 1 1/4" does that sound right?

wouldn't you want the bigger diameter for food & water under a kitchen sink?
where would it make sense to transition from the ABS to polypropylene - at the tail pipe or at the waste?
what should I use to convert - is that something like 1 1/2" to 1 1/4 coupling the on you tighten?

Reach4

Reaction score
the white or polypropylene section seems to have a lot more kits and washers, etc but I noticed the 1 1/2" is actually smaller in diameter than the 1 1/2 abs - it seems to be more like 1 1/4" does that sound right?
Yes. Schedule 40 size pipe, like ABS or PVC pipe would have approx 1.5 ID (actually 1.590 ID). The slip stuff is considered tubing, and is measured by OD.

wouldn't you want the bigger diameter for food & water under a kitchen sink?
where would it make sense to transition from the ABS to polypropylene - at the tail pipe or at the waste?
what should I use to convert - is that something like 1 1/2" to 1 1/4 coupling the on you tighten?
You increase in size as you go. It works well. The slip pipe is easy to take apart and clean or replace.

The transition/conversion piece is called a trap adapter. They come in many variations. Glue outside. Glue inside. Thread outside. Thread inside.
i018050-2.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks