How bad did I mess up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Brianosaur

Reaction score
Doing a bathroom reno in my 50+ year old home and just dry fit the new waste lines.

I had copper where the Sch40 is. The builder was a real piece of work. I had trap arms sloped down and then back upwards before they went to the waste stack. There were massive holes drilled in studs and joists, way over allowable size and distance to the edge of the lumber. I also had drywall nails puncturing the waste stack. I guess the nails stopped it from leaking most of the time. House also has a water supply line IN an attic that I had to wrap against frost years ago, but the copper fittings are now intermittantly dripping, so I pulled them out.

The new closet flange was going to land in the middle of a joist so I made a double header and trimmed the side joists with 3/4" ply. (Couldn't sister the entire joists without tearing up the rest of the finished flooring in adjoining rooms.) I still have to add a trimmer joist next to the flange to the wall plate, but it's under a window and a cripple stud that's not really supporting anything right now.

I pulled the shower's 1.5" copper drain from the wall, and put in a longer 2" center drain and added a vent. Not 100% sure if I needed the cleanout but since the arm & drain turn 90+45+and dip with two 1/8's I added it anyway. (over 135?) I sloped the lav trap arm down because I didn't think a V-shaped arm was correct. ;-)

The shower drain drops into a soffit above the kitchen cabinets below because they used 2x8's for second floor joists and the new larger trap wont fit. Also, I plan on using a curbless shower with dropped subfloor on joist ledgers, so my height was severely hindered.

Before I glue, screw real hangers in place, or put the band on the Fernco I was hoping I can get this drain setup looked over.

Ignore the PEX in the photos. 90% is temporary. I pulled a slant-fin and arced some 3/4 so it would be out of the way. The shark valves are for a temporary shower I have set up with garden hoses, a tarp and a kiddy pool.

Hopefully, I didn't screw up too bad, but let me have it all the same. Thanks

Before Sketch After Sketch

Last edited:

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
When you say "dry fit" I hope you realize PVC pipe and fittings are an interference fit, and the pipe will slide further into the fitting when it is coated with PVC solvent cement...

Brianosaur

Reaction score
Whats up with sw ptrap, and is lower floor vented?
Is solid weld wrong? It will be buried in a soffit and I didnt want it to have any leak issues. Since I need to cement the tailpiece fittings anyway would a union make any difference?

The only vent the house was built with is the single 3" waste/vent stack. All fixtures in home drain & vent to this single stack, and trap arms are short enough to be under the max length to reach it. (Philly Single Stack? ...not sure?)

I ended up adding the vent to the 2" shower because the weir was higher then the top of the sanitee it ran to a little over 5 ft away.

See my sketch drawing pics of upper & lower floors.

When you say "dry fit" I hope you realize PVC pipe and fittings are an interference fit, and the pipe will slide further into the fitting when it is coated with PVC solvent cement...
Yes, I know. I did *try* to mash them in at tight as possible. I've done other pvc work where I botched it as I weld them one at at time, and end up throwing out a ton of fittings and section of pipe, only to start the whole project over.

I have plenty of extra pipe to re-cut longer pieces if need be. This is pretty much a blueprint. I will cement a fitting, test fit the next one, then cement, test ect. I figured this route would be better then cementing one piece at a time and moving on to the next one, only to eff it up.

I ended up fitting, changing and refitting many times while figuring it all out to get the configuration I have now so. Re-cutting a few when installing them permanently was a much better option for me than the alternative.

Last edited:

Brianosaur

Reaction score
So, is this configuration okay?
Pretty much its the same layout as what was here for 50 years (without really any problems), except I lengthened the shower drain, increased size to 2" & added a vent, and then stacked two sanitees for WC & Shower rather then them sharing a 3x3x3x1.5

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks