Hot Water tank bottom corrosion

Users who are viewing this thread

ikrolo

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a hot water tank rental that I took over from the previous owner. During their recent 'maintenance' visit, they noticed that the bottom rim of the tank is rusting and said the tank doesn't have much life left. They've never inspected or replaced the anode rod so I thought at least the rod would be eaten out but it doesn't seem to be too bad and apparently it's magnesium (based on the manual). See pics - should I replace the anode anyway? Any idea if this hot water tank really is ready to go? Flushing the water from the bottom drain doesn't show any deposits anymore but I've been doing that every few months now for the past ~1.5 years, and just 3 months ago I also got a softener.

For a time I had water around the hot water tank for a few months because the TP valve keeps releasing a bit of water. The rental company replaced it and I don't have the issue anymore because I just connected it directly to a drain. The tank sits on a patio square block, raised slightly by wood blocks too. I don't have an image of how it looked like when there was water there so I can't be sure if it might have been that water coming up from below to errode this, but it doesn't look quite as bad right at the base.

Could there be another reason why the bottom rim is rusted that much?

I was thinking of just running with it for a while longer and keeping an eye on it (getting water sensors to alert me if anything leaks). I'd ask these things from the water rental company but they're useless. It's on a rent-to-own so it kind of works out to be the best case for them, and when I checked the contract it basically absolve them of any responsibilities - they just contact me to try to upsell me or to get me to buy new stuff from them and go on another 10 year contract.

Thanks!

Attachments

• rust.jpg
    rust.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 141
  • anode.jpg
    anode.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 135

Reach4

Reaction score
For a time I had water around the hot water tank for a few months because the TP valve keeps releasing a bit of water.
That normally means that you need to add a thermal expansion tank if you don't have one, or replace yours if you do.

I expect you will not renew the contract.

I think your plan sounds good.

Your basement could have flooded in the past. Do you have a sump pump?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The rust could be from condensation because if the T&P was dripping for a long time it allows fresh water to enter the tank and that cause cause a problem

Before thinking about adding an expansion tank get the pressure reading as many times it is not necessary

Depending on the age of the tank replace it BUT don't rent

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks