Hot water isn't hot

Users who are viewing this thread

L. Brown667

Reaction score
If you will keep that WH and try to clean it, you can unscrew that old plastic drain, and put in a Rheem SP12231B or AP12231C-1 (the longer one). Those have a big bore, and a straight shot. You could stick a wand in there. I have wondered if there was a small-tip electric pressure washer that would fit.

For less money, there are others decent brass drain valves.

This is not to say that a new WH would not be your best option.
Yeah, I think a new one is in my future but I want to limp this one to the finish line
I'm going to try it again
But this time, I'll try it the way Reach4 posted about

L. Brown667

Reaction score
+2
Just for kicks can you take a pic of the label on the WH and post it?

Yep, it just turned sweet 16
Coincidentally, my daughter quit working right, gave me hell, the cold shoulder & nothin but trouble when she hit "sweet" 16 too lol

Attachments

• 15784441147515405832639442122444.jpg
    15784441147515405832639442122444.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 174

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
When you were trying to drain the tank, did you let air into the tank so that the water could come out. If you didn't it is like holding your thumb on the top of a straw.

I'm pretty sure you cannot stick a wire through that style of drain to unclog it.

As for the theory that the top element is working, the hot water exits from the top of the tank so if the water at the top of the tank was hot, you would have hot water at the faucet but the volume of hot water would be less.

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you cannot stick a wire through that style of drain to unclog it.
That plastic drain can be unscrewed into two parts. The thread on the left of the picture is 3/4 NPT. ON the right is a garden hose thread. If I remember correctly, if you unscrew the big diameter enough, you could pull that out. Of course you would expect water to come out while that valve is separated.
index.php

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the element is energized while not immersed in water, it will burn out in seconds. The safest thing is to turn the power off. So you have some pressure, leave the main water on.

HudsonDIY

Reaction score
That plastic drain can be unscrewed into two parts. The thread on the left of the picture is 3/4 NPT. ON the right is a garden hose thread. If I remember correctly, if you unscrew the big diameter enough, you could pull that out. Of course you would expect water to come out while that valve is separated.

That is correct. You have to remove the outer part of the drain. If its not flowing there are no surprises. You just better be ready with a bucket if it does start flowing and then screw the outer part back on. Its a very messy affair but isn't life in general?

As was mentioned earlier you can attach a hose and turn it on in hopes of flushing enough crud away from the drain to get a flow going but in my experience where there are several inches of crud in the bottom of the WH it will only flow for a few seconds and then stop again. Hard water is a way of life in Florida and every WH I've ever changed out was 25# heavier than a new one.

L. Brown667

Reaction score
Just thought I'd give an update
Bottom element was bad and the crud in the w.h. was disgusting
I realize it's just a fact of life but it's still just...EWWWWW!!
Anyway, thanks to all of you who responded

PS I might start a GoFundMe page so I can afford bottled water to drink, bathe in, cook with, wash dishes with etc etc
Wish me luck lol

20200111_154456.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
Consider a water softener to prevent future solids like that, and give you nicer showers and laundry.

Can you make some progress by sticking a piece of 1/2 inch EMT held to a vacuum cleaner hose into that and sucking stuff?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Water can dissolve nearly every element in the universe except gold and hydrocarbons (oil) and the health professionals say drink more water.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't get your excuse.
But if you choose to wait, then just wait.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks