Hot Water Intermittently Cool

Discussion in 'Solar and Geothermal Water Heating Forum' started by BobD777, Mar 24, 2020.

1. BobD777

BobD777 New Member

Health/Enviroment Ed, Construction Background
    We've been having our hot water intermittently get cool when taking showers. It can last anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes. It may have started around the time our geothermal heating/cooling was installed in 2017. Maybe.

In addition to the heating/cooling, I have desuperheaters coming from two of my six geothermal zones. The lines from the desuperheaters to the hot water system feed directly into the hot water outlet from the hot water tank. (The lines are the ones coming in on the right side of the first picture below.)

The geothermal units are about 10 feet from the hot water line. My understanding is that in the summer, when in AC mode, the desuperheaters pump out hot water. But in the winter they do not. There is a pump in the geothermal unit that circulates the water from the desuperheaters. It's a Taco Cartridge Circulator 006-BC8Y-1. (See second picture below.)

MY FIRST QUESTION IS: Could that cool water be coming from the lines that connect the desuperheaters to our hot water supply? And if so, could that pump allow water to circulate even when in heating mode? If so, then I guess the same thing could happen in the summer, even when the geothermal AC units are not putting out hot water. That would explain this being a year-round issue.

MY SECOND QUESTION IS: If this seems likely, any idea how this might be fixed? There is a valve right by the hot water line (see the 2nd pic), where the geothermal lines connect. I can turn that off, but obviously would not want to do that when the pump could possibly kick in.

Thanks for any insights here!

2020-03-24 (1).jpg 2020-03-24.jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  2. fitter30

fitter30 Member

Retired service tech
    Normally with a desuperheater cold water enters it and the hot water enters where the drain valve is installed in the hw tank. Some use two tanks desuperheater feeds just the first tank (buffer)for preheating, from the hot outlet feeds the cold in the second tank (water heater). In heat mode when not running in house heating mode unit should run for hot water.
    https://www.geoexchange.org/forum/attachments/geo_drawing-png.56/

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. BobD777

BobD777 New Member

Health/Enviroment Ed, Construction Background
    View attachment 60780 View attachment 60781

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020 at 10:26 PM