Horizontal Kitchen Drain

Discussion in 'UPC Plumbing Code Questions' started by Kaptainkw, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Kaptainkw

Kaptainkw New Member

Good day, I appreciate this forum!

I'm relocating a Kitchen sink under a window with an existing slab. Horizontal 2" pipe, 2" combo and a 2" long sweep cleanout ahead of it. Vertical vent within the required distance (3'6" UPC or 6' IRC) maintaining 1/4"/ft slope.

My question is: Can this entire branch be run horizontal (vs. vertical and then long sweep horizontal) and then within a few feet of the main stack 45s into it? I need to clear an electrical panel and thus there would be a section of pipe at 45 degrees.

Thank you!

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I see no reason not. You could even use a santee into the main stack, but your idea of 45s down into the stack are a little better.

You could go farther before the vent if you want... UPC allows up to 5 ft on 2 inch before the vent. The 3.5 max on UPC is for 1.5 inch.

Virginia uses IPC, not UPC, and IPC allows even longer distances-- 6 ft for 1.5 and 8 ft for 2 inch.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    Sylvan likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Sylvan likes this.
  4. Kaptainkw

Kaptainkw New Member

Reach4: Thank you very much for the confirmation and the reminder that VA is IPC. Much appreciated!