Hole in bottom of bathtub faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Dorlando13

Reaction score
Hello, our bath tub is probably over 30 years old. The bottom of the faucet has a 1/2 size or so hole that the previous owner partially plugged by rigging something to fit inside the hole. My first question would be do you know why there would be a whole under it?

Second, what he did to plug it broke so now the water leaks from the hole in the bottom of the faucet. Any ideas for a fix? If I were to replace it does that require having to tear out some tiles and backer board and then replacing?

Picture attached, the hole is in the bottom of the faucet.

Thanks

bath.JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't see the hole.
That's a Moen Chateau faucet. Some came with a diverter right below the handle on the wall plate.
I see that you have a diverter tub spout though, so that would not be needed.

legend-diverter-trim.jpg

Dorlando13

Reaction score
Please see the attached picture of the hole on the bottom of this spout. Is the hole on the inside supposed to be for the Allen wrench because it looks like a perfectly round hole?

Attachments

• 87469172-841C-46C9-A558-6ABC88FF6D37.jpeg
    87469172-841C-46C9-A558-6ABC88FF6D37.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 365

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
The hole in the tub spout is normal. The leak is not. Hex-socket setscrews (used to attach the spout to a copper pipe stub) frequently get
rounded off, usually from folks using the wrong-size Allen wrench.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks