Holding Tank Float Recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

milkman1

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Hello all:

I need help with a holding tank float configuration. I have my holding 2800 gal tank now in place and will like to control the well pump and the booster pump and looking to do this the simplest and most effective way. Any recommendations on float types and configuration will be greatly appreciated. I’m thinking about using a dual float configuration for both pumps but not sure how effective this will be. I will share some pictures later with my new setup.

TIA

milkman1

Network Engineer
Reaction score
So I tested the system with a float that controls both well and booster pump. While this setup works, it will be nice to have my well start pumping when the half way level is reach in the holding tank. This is not the case currently, it goes down to the level where the float is set almost to the outlet pipe. And at the same time continue to draw water from the holding tank vie the booster pump. I only can pump approx 600 gal every 4 hours from my well and I need to maintain approx 2500 gal in my tank for my water demand.

I thinking the only way of doing this is two individual floats? What are you guys using in similar application? Please help.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I don't have a suggestion on a particular brand but I agree that two float switches are needed. I disagree though that the well pump should come on when the tank is half empty. It should come on sooner so that the tank stays as full as possible. Just rate limit the well pump to match the well recovery and/or deploy a Cycle Sensor to shut if off when it runs dry.

milkman1

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Here is a post by Cary complete with diagram. In that case he relies on a second Cycle Sensor to protect the pump instead of a second float switch.
https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?30940-10-year-old-well&p=216694&viewfull=1#post216694

Thanks, I actually utilized that diragram for wring etc.. but it's shows a single float system. I'm still looking for any 2 float setup; I found a couple on the web but it's best if someone share their experience with an actual setup.

Thanks again!

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
A tethered float can easily adjust to the 1/2 mark or anywhere you wish. Check graingers. You can add a second, normally on, that is set low in the tank as a safety

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks