Help with shower drain seal

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave313

Reaction score
hi Mustee 36 inch shower pan here. I recently opened up my shower drain cover to discover an off center 1.5 inch drain that appears to have been sealed with a silicone film rather than a gasket. It has to have been leaking for some time. We thought the leak had to do with a crack in the shower pan which I am in the process of fixing, but this was probably leaking as well.

How do I seal this drain properly from the top? I live in a high rise and am trying to avoid ripping out the entire shower pan.

65A52C31-FEA7-447D-8C5F-ABFBCF09D49D.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You might try getting the donut for that pan and in combination with a glued on 2x1.5" fitting reducer to bring it up to 2" on the pipe size.
Or you could see if Mustee has a donut for 1.5"...maybe.

Dave313

Reaction score
You might try getting the donut for that pan and in combination with a glued on 2x1.5" fitting reducer to bring it up to 2" on the pipe size.
Or you could see if Mustee has a donut for 1.5"...maybe.

Thank you Terry - I tried moving the pipe around and it doesn't seem to be budging, so my concern is that I won't be able to use a standard gasket as the gap is bigger on one side than the other....

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Clear all of the silicone out. See what's around the pipe. If it's concrete you might have to do some chipping. Then you'll need an inside cutter. Then I would glue a new drain in. Get one that disassembles and it's serviceable.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Repairing a job that was installed improperly always leads to a bigger mess

Replace the line to 2"

Or

Remove all the junk around the drain line get some Oakum and a ladle and one ingot of lead and pour a joint . WEAR Goggles, gloves and make sure the oakum is bone dry prior to pouring

Dave313

Reaction score
Well I dug out what was around the pipe and it looks like they just jammed paper towel in there and covered it with silicone....

Thank you for all your suggestions - Can I make a lead and oakum joint up between the cast iron drain pipe and the fiberglass shower base hole?

EF5C89EF-BF59-4290-A414-DCA70B3AAE45.jpeg
ECD678A2-DD9A-41C6-8C00-BB87C5DCD5B2.jpeg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Well I dug out what was around the pipe and it looks like they just jammed paper towel in there and covered it with silicone....

Thank you for all your suggestions - Can I make a lead and oakum joint up between the cast iron drain pipe and the fiberglass shower base hole?

If your concerned about using molten lead Forget the ladle and pig lead (ingot) buy oakum and lead wool and pack the joint (NOT legal) BUT it works

5LB BOX LEAD WOOL (Jones Stephens Corp. L40-001)

index.php

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks