Advice needed for replacing the shower drain seal

Users who are viewing this thread

Danielu

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My apartment shower drain is leaking downstairs, I found the drain seal is loose and rigid, and needed to be replaced. The old drain seal is made by Mustee part number 32.401, 2 inches. This is the first time doing it, I am wondering if I could buy 2 inches seals made by other companies, for example, Fernco Inc. PSD-210 (https://www.amazon.com/Fernco-PSD-2...001ATDOKI/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8)

Any suggestions on how to install the drain gasket? Do I need to apply plumber putty or silicone sealant?

Thank you so much in advance!

Attachments

• PXL_20230619_190508294.jpg
    PXL_20230619_190508294.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 165

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Likely your p-trap has come loose from the drain because there is flex in both the shower pan and the trap arm.

I can't say if the Fernco donut is a direct replacement for the mustee but they look similar.

The rubber donut is simply tapped into place from above while the standpipe above the trap is held in place by a person below or by being supported from below.

Danielu

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your response and insights! I appreciate your help and guidance in this matter.

The drain pvc pipe is loose, and it can move up and down a little bit. Is it normal for the drain PVC pipe to have some movement or should it be firmly secured in place? If it is indeed abnormal, what steps can I take to rectify the situation and ensure a more secure connection?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
If the shower base is a plastic, anyone stepping into the base it will give a little. After a few thousand times, that give works on the pipes below. Code wise they must be cemented and joints can fail. Replace the seals and do a water test. If there still is a leak you'll need to open the ceiling below.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The drain pipe should be secured from below to prevent it from working itself loose as Worth mentions above. I would bite the bullet and open the ceiling. It will allow you to secure the pipe and give you a visual guarantee that the drain has been sealed

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks