Help with "cracked" Price Pfister shower handle

Users who are viewing this thread

jlb

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a newbie here and not very good with plumbing in general and I could use your help.

Our master bath is older (and boy, in need of remodelling one day) and has a Price Pfister shower handle. The handle is acrylic.

The other day I started to turn, but I was turning (or trying to turn) the wrong way. Some plastic "cracked". The handle now has play, but once you turn and take out the play, you can carefully turn further to open/close the valve.

I don't know ifI have just cracked/stripped the inside of the handle, or if there is another part that may have been compromised.

I looked for handles on PF's website and other e-tailers and I cannot seem to find an exact match for the handle. I think there may be some generic handles available too.

My questions specifically are this:

1) Based on my description, is it likely the handle or maybe something else that was cracked?

2) Assuming just handle, what is the best way to find one that would work? I'd rather not try and take the current one off and risk losing out on operation for a day or so while I find a part.

3) Again, assuming just handle, can I pop the button off and take out the screw and replace the handle without turning off the water? If this is the case, would the inside of the handle possibly have a model number on it?

I would score some wife acceptance factor points :D if I can do this one myself, rather than calling a plumber, so any advice would be very helpful!

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unscrew the handle and try to match it up as best you can at the local hardware store or plumbing supply store.

You will have to pop off the little button with a pocket knife to get to the screw, and you don't need to turn off the water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks