Help-Removing Grohe Europlus II Tub Handle, 19 716 000

Users who are viewing this thread

mampl

Reaction score
My contractor installed the Grohe Europlus II 19 716 000 shower/tub valve 15 years ago and it's leaking so I'm trying to replace the cartridge. I removed the hidden allen screw and tried pulling, tapping it in first, prying (gently) with a screwdriver all to no avail.

How do I remove that handle without breaking anything?

19.716 Europlus II Trim (that's the difficult handle)
35.253 Rough-in-valve (that the handle is attached to, brass on the outside but plastic cartridge on the inside)

Pictures below.

grohe-pb-01.jpg

grohe-pb-02.jpg

https://western-sales.com/western/technical_docs/docs/tpi19716.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I put that same valve into a shower at my mother's house. It's been awhile, but I think that the setscrew just clamps down on a plastic piece. If it was really tight, over time, it may be slightly deformed, and it may take some force to remove it. They use a plastic spacer in there to separate the metal handle from the metal body, which internally can get quite hot...that plastic piece keeps the handle safe to touch and doesn't corrode, at least in theory, making it easier to remove later down the road.

Their tech support is pretty good, you might just want to call them to confirm. It appears that that series for the shower is discontinued, and their website has gotten worse...used to be, you could find the old parts lists and instructions there, but if it is there, I couldn't find it!

mampl

Reaction score
I sent Grohe an Email last night. Thanks.

Problem pulling is that the lever is on one side so when you pull you are using it as a lever and it's easy to break something. You really can't pull straight out. So I'm reluctant to put more pressure on it until I learn a bit more about it. I did put some penetrating oil in the allen screw hole yesterday as well.

I'll give Grohe and this forum until this afternoon to get some more answers.

badun

Reaction score
Were you ever able to get it off? What did you do?
You can pull 15-30 degree angle lower from the horizontal.
If you cannot pull it out, just break it and buy a replacement, e.g. at:

I suggest you to find out the failed parts and buy together.

For my case, the plumber mistakenly installed the blocker. The balanced valve still works.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks