Help please to identify 10" or 12" replacement toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

LadyLee

Reaction score
I am confused!!! My son will install two new higher toilets for me but I'm not sure which to purchase. The master bathroom toilet is a Mansfield and the tank says A71 Feb 23, 2010 and it measures 12" from wall to bolt. So, that's a no-brainer I believe?

Now the 2nd bathroom toilet tank is also a Mansfield and inside the tank it is stamped Mansfield 160. Here is the problem. This toilet from drywall (minus baseboard) to bolt has a 11½" measurement and the back of the tank is REALLY close to the wall.

The question is whether to buy a 10" or a 12" toilet. I am thinking to replace both of these Mansfields with the ADA height AS Champion 4 Model 2586.

I appreciate all the help I can get before I make the wrong purchase.

Yes, the two Mansfields I am replacing are quite new and it's a shame just to toss them out in the end. But here's why - I am a senior and I purchased a condo all set for handicapped access but they installed regular low toilets. I want to move 'up' and this is going to be a treat for me.

Thank you, Donna

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I am confused!!! My son will install two new higher toilets for me but I'm not sure which to purchase. The master bathroom toilet is a Mansfield and the tank says A71 Feb 23, 2010 and it measures 12" from wall to bolt. So, that's a no-brainer I believe?

Now the 2nd bathroom toilet tank is also a Mansfield and inside the tank it is stamped Mansfield 160. Here is the problem. This toilet from drywall (minus baseboard) to bolt has a 11½" measurement and the back of the tank is REALLY close to the wall.

The question is whether to buy a 10" or a 12" toilet. I am thinking to replace both of these Mansfields with the ADA height AS Champion 4 Model 2586.

I appreciate all the help I can get before I make the wrong purchase.

Yes, the two Mansfields I am replacing are quite new and it's a shame just to toss them out in the end. But here's why - I am a senior and I purchased a condo all set for handicapped access but they installed regular low toilets. I want to move 'up' and this is going to be a treat for me.

Thank you, Donna

I'm no pro, but I can help a little. First, let me say that I have been amazingly-pleased with the Toto Drake toilets (and the more-expensive Toto Carlyle toilet) that I just installed in our home. The flush is reliable and amazing, and the toilets are stylish and well-made.

I can tell you from actual personal experience installing these toilets that the Drake (just to be clear, not the Drake II, the plain ol' Drake: CST744) will fit a rough-in as small as 11" (and Terry indicates that the real bottom-line minimum is actually 10 7/8"), and look nice doing it. You would have no difficulty at all from the Drake based on the rough-in you mention. You can have the ADA-height CST744SL (the L is the ADA-height model: 16.5" bowl height like your AS, plus an inch for the recommended seat), for the same money as Home Depot would be charging you for the model you are looking at. Look at the Drakes on Terry's Toilet Reviews (click above in the green box), and see what you think. If you want the 1.6 gallons-per-flush (gpf) model, you would order the CST744SL, if you want the "watersense" 1.28 gpf model, you would order the CST744EL. (E for "eco", L for "ADA height"). The base (and price) on both is the same, just tank and tank guts are different.

The Drake II is about $20 more than the model you are looking at, and seems to get great reviews and has a nice modern look. It comes with CEFIONTECT, Double Cyclone Flush, and at the Universal Height (17.25" seat height). So it seems like a great value. However, Terry says that it for sure requires a minimum 11.5" rough-in. So you would be right at the absolute minimum for the kind of installation a son of typical skills could do himself.

Of course, in fairness, the AS comes with a seat and the wax ring and closet bolts, while the Toto toilets do not. I like this because I can choose my own seats, and there are some I really like, and it's no big deal for me to go get a wax ring, new supply hose, closet bolts and caulk down at the local hardware store. However, it does add a few dollars per toilet to the apples-to-apples comparison.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you get one that is made well, the AS is a decent toilet...their defect rate seems to be higher than some, and definately higher than Totos.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks