Help, please asap. Toto Drake Flapper vs. Tower Valve???

Users who are viewing this thread

Treeman

Reaction score
I just brought a Toto Drake CST744SL 1.6gal. for my workplace shop. The parts diagram shows 2 flush valve styles available, the traditional flapper and a tower: https://www.totousa.com/filemanager_uploads/product_assets/PD-00246_CST744SL.pdf

Being old school, I asked for the flapper valve. I just opened the box to find the tower valve. the tank no. on receipt is ST743S and in the tank it is ST743ST.

Please help me decide to keep or exchange it for the flapper style. Our water is medium hard with heavy rust stains that requires constant attention (no softener option).

Which valve will work best for my conditions?? I'm leery of the more complex tower design getting jammed up...all those sliding parts. I have NO experience with tower valves. Reliable, less maintenance is the goal.

Any real world experience is very sincerely appreciated. Thank you very much.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I haven't heard of any complaints about the Toto flush tower. (Other brands' towers are a different story, but the Toto one seems so far to be working reliably.)

The purpose of switching to the tower is that it should last longer than the flapper in some difficult conditions.

Reach4

Reaction score
The purpose of switching to the tower is that it should last longer than the flapper in some difficult conditions.
Does it also give a little more head to the water?

It may also open and close more suddenly. I have not actually seen one, so I am speculating.

Last edited:

Treeman

Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen...you too, Reach4 (LOL).

It seems my question is moot. I chatted with the TOTO people and it seems that the flapper is being phased out in favor of the tower style. My installation will be a good test to see how they handle hard water and rust accumulations.

On another note, at 62 years old, I had to concede to the notion that even with toilets, design and engineering is constantly changing and the
new-fangled stuff is just the way it is. Down with the flush water is the concept that simple flappers have been around for decades and are best...that's debatable.

I don't know if I'm just an old curmudgeon, but it seems that the new fill valves and flush valves are more problematic than the good old days. In reality maybe not. Probably just internet amplification. At least it gives us old guys things to rant about.

As always, I appreciate the good advice available at this site. Reach, your input is good from the perspective of the (advanced) diy'er vs. the pros. Thank you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The chemicals used in public water systems can lead to degradation of the rubbers used in the flappers. My guess is that the towers may be able to use a different one less susceptible to that degradation, and thus last longer. Also note that the higher your water pressure and the chemicals involved, the seal in the fill valve is likely to need replacement more often than some of the older designs. Depending on which fill valve you have, that may be a simple, quick, inexpensive repair. With the water where I live and the supply pressure, I have to replace that seal about every 4-5 years. At my mother's house, they last longer because her water quality and pressure are different. I have to replace my flapper valves about every 4-years to prevent things from leaking.

Robert Snow

Architect
Reaction score
I just replaced the original flapper type flush valves on three Toto Willingham toilets with towers, part# THU460.6D-A. I was starting to have problems with the blue Korky flappers taking a set and sagging after less than two years. The flush towers have clear seals that look like silicone. I also noticed that it takes less force and movement from the lever to initiate a flush. Seems like a significant improvement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks