Video of chugging in my pipes caused by flushing Toto Drake toilet, can anyone help?

Users who are viewing this thread

WS

Reaction score
Here's a video I made of the chugging in my pipes after I flush my Toto Drake ST743S toilet and the tank fills. I've replaced the flapper and the flush valve (as suggested on another thread on this site), but it hasn't fixed it. Here's the video, watch the whole thing a little over 3 minutes for more details from me, or watch the end to see and hear the chugging:

Reach4

Reaction score
Does WS's toilet accept the Korky R528CM cap, or does he need a new fill valve?

IMG_5.jpg

Reactions: WS

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You are getting oscillation in the valve's shutoff mechanism. Once it gets the water level "bouncing" it may not stabilize for a long time. Replace the fill valve.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I believe you said or inferred that this toilet is the most distant from the main supply coming into the house?

WS

Reaction score
I believe you said or inferred that this toilet is the most distant from the main supply coming into the house?
Yes, you heard right. This bathroom is the farthest in my one-level house from the water supply. I mentioned that because when Terry Love helped me solve the problem with a new flapper years ago it seemed like that had something to do with the issue, but I didn't understand why.

WS

Reaction score
You are getting oscillation in the valve's shutoff mechanism. Once it gets the water level "bouncing" it may not stabilize for a long time. Replace the fill valve.
So that's what's happening?!?! I've wondered about it for years. Thank you for your input.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In some fill valves, and also swimming pool water level controls, the "float" is very sensitive. When the valve shuts off, it creates a "wave" and the "low" cycle of the wave is enough to turn the valve on, and the "returning" high cycle happens almost immediately to turn it off, but when it turns off it creates another wave and process repeats itself until the water level finally is high enough that the "low" level is not enough to turn it on. In the old days, you could "tap" the float ball to create a wave and the fill valve would keep it "bouncing" for a very long time, because very little water enters the tank during each cycle. I had a customer with a swimming pool. When the chattering started it lasted a long time because the swimming pool was so large.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes it can be the shutoff. Rubber washers get old and start to flutter. Opening up a shutoff all the way and then backing it in a bit is what I do.
Or replace with a 1/4 turn is my favorite.

WS

Reaction score
I had this same problem. I changed the fill valve but it ended up being the shutoff that feeds the toilet. Exact same sound
Thanks for your input. What did you do to fix the shutoff? Terry Love suggested I open up the water supply and then back it off a bit. I tried that just now and it didn't work, i.e. I'm still getting the chugging sound. I think I'll head to the plumbing supply store for a new fill valve today, but please let me know what you did to your shut off.

WS

Reaction score
Sometimes it can be the shutoff. Rubber washers get old and start to flutter. Opening up a shutoff all the way and then backing it in a bit is what I do.
Thanks, Terry. I already have the 1/4 turn shut off. Just now I tried backing it in a bit from all the way open and I still got the chugging noise. I think I'll head to the plumbing supply store for a new fill valve later this afternoon.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That fill valve uses an easy to replace cap that is what actually shuts the water off. It's a no tools required repair and there's a video on Korky's website and instructions on the cap packaging. Also, when you have the cap off, check the float is properly attached and can move freely. There's a little hole in the float that can get plugged by debris, and it's easy to clean. While you can buy a new valve, it's probably just the cap or the float that needs a little attention. Note, the higher your water pressure, the less time the cap's seal will last. When new, it's a nice dome...as it ages, it gets formed to the shape of the grid above it, and eventually, cracks. Prior to that happening, it tends to have a delay after flushing before it starts to turn the water on to refill, which is a clue that you need to buy a new cap. The cap is about $3 or so, so that it's a lot less than a whole new valve. The rest of it should last a very long time.

janjacks

Reaction score
Oh, thank you WS for posting this video! I have a Toto which has been periodically chugging like this, so this video ensures I've landed on the right thread! I just finished replacing the cartridge in the stop valve (O ring was cracked). We will see if the chugging resumes!

janjacks

Reaction score

Terry, first off, this forum is so invaluable to me. I've consulted it many times before. Thank you!

Next, I'd like to eventually replace all the multi-turn stop valves in my house with quarter turns, but (correct me if I'm wrong) that would involve me cutting the existing lines to install whole new valves.

In the meantime, rubber O ring replacement it is! Is there a way to "exercise" these periodically to keep them functional for longer? ie, closing the valves on the lines that supply the washing machine and toilets for a few minutes once a week or something?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks