Having trouble driving a well point for a shallow well

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by Shepp66, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Shepp66

Shepp66 New Member

I am new to this forum. I am attempting to a DIY well. I am using a 1 1/4 inch well point. I am located on the coast of SC. I only need to go between 15-25ft. I am stuck at 10ft. I hit hard packed sand at 9ft and it is nearly impossible to make any progress with my current set up.
    more in

-I already pulled it up once and it is definately sand that is there
    -I got another set up and tried a different spot-same result-hard going at 9.5ft

I have a 1 1/4 well point with 1/2 PVC going to the point and connected to a garden hose. I drilled a hole in a 2ft 4x4 and place it on top of the wider PVC with the smaller running through the hole. I have a hand sledge that I have been using to pound the PVC down. But I am literally only able to go about a 1/2 inch every couple hours.

Any tips on a better way would be really appreciated! This is my first time and I am sure I am making mistakes.

2. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    Hard to do with a sledge. You need a post driver. They make a pneumatic post driver you can probably rent, but it may mess up the tip of the drive point. Never tried it myself.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Bannerman

Bannerman Well-Known Member

Use a post hole auger to dig a hole the majority of the depth before driving the sandpoint.

See YT video below. Digging the hole with the auger begins at 6:20 minutes.

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I thought you needed steel pipe, rather than PVC, to drive a sand point.

Have you asked how much it would cost to get a 5 or 6 inch ID PVC-cased well drilled? Seems like an investment in reliability.

6. Shepp66

Shepp66 New Member

Can you rent one with the extensions?

7. Shepp66

Shepp66 New Member

The ones they do around here are PVC. Getting one done professionally was quoted at $2500. I just don't have that kind of cash.

8. Shepp66

Shepp66 New Member

Can you rent a hand auger with the extensions?

9. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    I assumed you had a steel drive point with a 1/2" PVC pipe down the middle?

10. Bannerman

Bannerman Well-Known Member

Those hand augers are typically intended for digging fence post holes by hand. While I have rented a hand auger from a tool rental outlet, I anticipate any additional extensions will require purchase of the appropriate diameter and length of steel pipe which you will need to adapt to fit the auger.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  11. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Semi-Retired
    A hand auger typically doe not have the helical screw going all the way up the extensions so one would need to repeatedly "trip out" the string to get the material out of the hole. Gets more tedious the deeper you go.

I think wash-down drilling with a casing would be easier. Also probably need steel pipe with which to bust through the hard pan. I helped my father drill down 120 feet that way.

Does the PVC sandpoint have a ball check on the bottom for washdown drilling? Of course, you could try driving an all metal sandpoint with steel pipe.

12. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Borrowing money for a real well for a home is an investment IMO. Borrowing money for a new car is an expense.

Home improvement loans are deductible if you itemize. If you borrow, borrow from a bank or an angel, and not a credit card or loan company.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  13. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

"retired" and still building and troubleshooting
    Pound on steel pipe without wood on top. Get a drive cap. And a much bigger hammer, really big.

14. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Post driver, but there are bigger heavier ones that would be better for this. Is drive cap another name for the same thing?

15. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

"retired" and still building and troubleshooting
    Drive cap is a heavy cast or forged cap to screw onto iron pipe to pound on and preserve the threads