Have to replace tile if have toilet leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
I’ve also seen the pour a 5 gallon bucket into the bowl to get the water to rush through. What would you think about this if I have a leaky wax ring?
Similar to flushing.
Do you guys typically remove the tank from the toilet? Or is that not necessary
I expect they keep the tank on, presuming they are strong enough.

Remove the water from the tank too.

Also, I saw on YouTube a guy use something that made the water a gel. Is this good to use? I would think it would be a pain to try to clear all the gel out from inside the toilet.
That would be that much more for you to lift. Sucking or sopping up the water will be easy.

Wet-dry vacs are useful for other things too. If you spill food onto a carpet, it can be useful for essentially shampooing a spot.

Loiwin

Reaction score
Similar to flushing.

I expect they keep the tank on, presuming they are strong enough.

Remove the water from the tank too.

That would be that much more for you to lift. Sucking or sopping up the water will be easy.

Wet-dry vacs are useful for other things too. If you spill food onto a carpet, it can be useful for essentially shampooing a spot.

Thanks. If I push the water through with a plunger I can expect some water leakage right? In that case the plunger method would be less water than using a bucket.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks. If I push the water through with a plunger I can expect some water leakage right? In that case the plunger method would be less water than using a bucket.
I don't think so, no. But that doesn't matter, and becomes a philosophical/theoretical discussion. That doesn't mean that I would not do such a thing, but if you want to do that, at least recognize that.

If your purpose is to get the job done with the absolute minimum potential leak to the floor, suck or sop.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, if you're worried about adding more water to your floor, just use a sponge and a bucket to get the water out. If you're going to pull the toilet, you might as well, though, turn off the supply, then hold the flush lever down until most of the water leaves the toilet. Rubber gloves are nice, but a toilet bowl isn't as dirty as many people think. Not saying I'd want to drink it, but if you don't have any cuts or scrapes and you wash your hands later, it's not a big deal.

Try to remove any sealant around the base of the toilet first, then it might be easier to tell where it's leaking from.

Note if the toilet can be rocked back and forth at all. If it can, you MUST shim it prior to installing a new wax ring and setting the toilet. You shouldn't rely on the bolts to prevent rocking, as that can tend to lead to breaking your toilet, or leaks. I usually just use some coins rather than buying special shims, but whatever works for you. For me, it saves both money and time over a trip to the store.

One thing that can blow out a toilet is if you were really aggressive with plunging and you did it incorrectly. Many people think the main action is to push down hard. That just tends to jam things in tighter. The better way is to slowly push down, then rapidly pull up. That helps to rearrange things so that they can then flow down. If the toilet flange was not installed on top of the finished flooring, whomever installed the toilet may not have used enough wax to fill the space, or the wax shifted while the toilet was being set down. It's best to place the wax on the flange, then set the toilet onto it. A lot of the instructions say to put the wax on the toilet, then set it down, but the wax can shift much more easily that way. There's a 'sticky' on how to install a toilet above...read that and you shouldn't have any issues.

You do not need to remove the tank, but the end result is you'll have to lift more. If that isn't an issue, leave it attached. Otherwise, you may need to remove it so you can lift it. IF you do, you might want to get some new rubber washers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks