Have to replace tile if have toilet leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Loiwin

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a general question. So I noticed yesterday the bathroom cabinet and surrounding tiles, about 1/2 ft around the toilet on the 2nd floor had some water damage. The tiles weren’t wet or feel wet, but the grout seems wet and has some buildup or mold. The silicone around the base of the toilet is also discolored. I haven’t had a chance to pull up the toilet, but a few of my neighbors have all had wax ring install problems. I don’t have any water damage that I can see downstairs (yet).

My question is, if I was able to catch this problem in time, found out it was a bad wax ring, was able to replace it, do I have to remove the tiles and grout surrounding the toilet? Am I just able to let it dry over 10 days or more and be ok with keeping my tile/grout and cleaning the buildup? It would be easier if I didn’t have to replace all the surrounding tile. I’m ok with my cabinet looking bad, it’s only 1 inch that’s affected and not really noticeable. Thank you for any information!

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would pull the toilet up, stuff a towel in the drain and aim a table top fan on the wet area until it is completely dry. then I would inspect it for damage, if hasn't been leaking long and you can't pull the tile up with your fingers it's probably OK.

Loiwin

Reaction score
I would pull the toilet up, stuff a towel in the drain and aim a table top fan on the wet area until it is completely dry. then I would inspect it for damage, if hasn't been leaking long and you can't pull the tile up with your fingers it's probably OK.

Thanks for the info. When you say inspect for damage, what exactly am I looking for? Also, can you describe pulling tile up with my fingers? The tile is supposed to be pretty secure to the floor is that what you mean?

Also, is it common for wax ring/flange to go bad? What am I looking for as far as damaged for those?

Sorry for all question, first time dealing with this. Thank you

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
A wax bowl can go bad, sometimes it's installed wrong and sometimes the toilet moves. Generally, it's a good practice to clean the old wax off and install a new one. They are not expensive.
About the tiles: they should feel solid, not detached.

Loiwin

Reaction score
So if they still feel solid, I can continue to let them dry with and without a fan? How long do guys expect them to be completely dry without a fan?

Loiwin

Reaction score
Update: The tiles feel normal as I lightly touched on them. However, I touched the grout nearest to the toilet (about 1 inch long) and the grout was very wet, my finger was wet after running over it. It’s only an inch of wet grout. Is this still considered safe to let dry and keep tile? Or is wet grout something that’s indicative of needing to replace the tile? Thank you...

Reach4

Reaction score
When you lift the toilet, take a picture of the wax. There may be indication of it leaking.

When you put the new wax in, dry fit first, and position shims. When you set the toilet on the wax, you don't want to lift or rock the toilet to get the shims in place.

Loiwin

Reaction score
24 to 48 hours. It doesn't sound that serious.

One quick question, if the grout is still wet, my finger comes up wet when I put it on the grout, does that mean I have to replace to tile? Or can the grout be dried out too with a fan?

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
It will all dry out after you pull the toilet and allow the grout to dry under the fan and finally fix the toilet so it doesn't leak. If the wax seal under the toilet leaks the grout will stay wet, the more you use the toilet without fixing the wax seal the more damage your causing.

Loiwin

Reaction score
Is there a good way to clean the grout from the mold/minerals left over?

Reach4

Reaction score
Grout cleaner plus scrub brush, although a general purpose household cleaner and a scrub brush should be sufficient.
zep-tile-grout-cleaners-zu104632-64_145.jpg
hdx-scrub-brushes-252mbhdxrm-64_145.jpg

JerryR

Reaction score
If you don’t have experience setting a toilet on a wax seal I recommend you use a Saniseal instead of wax.
https://www.amazon.com/Sani-BL01-Waxless-Toilet-Gasket/dp/B005K89RQU/

When using wax you get one shot at placing the toilet exactly where it’s supposed to be. If you move it after it is set the wax seal will be compromised. With a Saniseal it’s not a problem resetting the toilet if you screw it up.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the subflooring is still solid and not punky (poke at it with a screwdriver or awl - if it's soft you have a bigger problem), and the tile is well attached, things should be fine. Cement based products like grout and mortar are not damaged by being soaked. Now, there are mastics that can become soft if they get soaked, but if they dry out again, can be fine.

So, until you remove things, you won't be able to tell.

As was said, a wax seal only works if the toilet cannot move. If it rocks, it doesn't rebound, and will leave a gap. Normally, that isn't all that terrible, but it depends on the toilet. A gap will let sewer gasses into the room, though. SOme try to make a sharp right-angle bend right at the end, some turn the waste so that it is pointed essentially straight down the hole. If yours turns it sharply, it can splash more. IF the seal is good, not a problem. If it isn't, you'll get the area wet.

Make sure there isn't a crack in the toilet and it's not leaking from the shutoff, hose, or tank.

Loiwin

Reaction score
What is the best process to remove water from the toilet bowl before removing it as to not have to flush the water? Thanks y’all

Reach4

Reaction score
What is the best process to remove water from the toilet bowl before removing it as to not have to flush the water? Thanks y’all
  1. Plunger to push out what water goes out that way.
  2. Wet-dry vacuum for what remains. If no wet-dry vac, soak water up with a cloth such as a towel. Wring out over the tub.

Loiwin

Reaction score
  1. Plunger to push out what water goes out that way.
  2. Wet-dry vacuum for what remains. If no wet-dry vac, soak water up with a cloth such as a towel. Wring out over the tub.

So if I use a plunger there’s a chance some water might leak out? Also, I saw on YouTube a guy use something that made the water a gel. Is this good to use? I would think it would be a pain to try to clear all the gel out from inside the toilet.

I’ve also seen the pour a 5 gallon bucket into the bowl to get the water to rush through. What would you think about this if I have a leaky wax ring?

Do you guys typically remove the tank from the toilet? Or is that not necessary

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks