Handyman left me hangin

Users who are viewing this thread

HungaDunga

Reaction score
20180118_184601.jpg

I had a handyman attempt a plumbing project in my home (state of Idaho). I'm adding a basement bathroom with shower, toilet and lav in my utility room with a washer on the opposite side of wall. The picture is what he left me with, I'm thinkin the washer is gonna suck my lav ptrap dry. Am I right? How can I fix this myself without inviting my handyman back?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If I'm interpreting this correctly, that's not the only thing that is a problem. The vent can't run horizontal that low, and the WM isn't properly vented, and the wrong fittings were used...at least he used nailing plates!?

HungaDunga

Reaction score
Here are a few more pictures of my below grade bathroom. The young man who has done the majority of this work is a friend of the family who has been employed as a plumber for several years now but is still learning. I'm in a remote location with few plumbers available that are already in high demand. I'd like like to fix the lav drain myself and intend to hire a professional to look everything over and pressure test the system prior to inspection. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

20180119_094417.jpg
20180119_094453.jpg
20180119_094511.jpg
20180119_094548.jpg
20180119_094604.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
The vent tee where the washer P-Trap connects needs to be a long sweep tee ninety, and the c/o tee should be on the vertical, other wise OK,

What part of Idaho are you in, I can probably recommend a local Plumber

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I am completely baffled by what I see there. We set sewage basins so that the lid is flush with the finished floor. The basin needs to be accessible to service the pump, and the ground around the basin is backfilled and the concrete floor finished around the lid.

I cannot make out how the connections are being made from the fixtures to the basin.

HungaDunga

Reaction score
I wish I could have mounted the sewage basin flush to the floor, however, the previous homeowner who built here in the 90s had several floor drains and a wash tub in the daylight basement which drained over the hillside. I'm wanting to tie the exsisting floor drains into the ejector pump. Why the existing lines were burried so deep in the first place is what baffles me!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I wish I could have mounted the sewage basin flush to the floor, however, the previous homeowner who built here in the 90s had several floor drains and a wash tub in the daylight basement which drained over the hillside. I'm wanting to tie the exsisting floor drains into the ejector pump. Why the existing lines were burried so deep in the first place is what baffles me!

When the basin has to be deep to accommodate the plumbing, you have to use a basin that has extension rings available to extend the top of the basin up to or above the finished floor. The basin has to be backfilled and secured in place. Unless you are in the dessert, at some point that hole is going to fill with groundwater and the basin will be floated up out of the hole.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here are a few more pictures of my below grade bathroom. The young man who has done the majority of this work is a friend of the family who has been employed as a plumber for several years now but is still learning. I'm in a remote location with few plumbers available that are already in high demand. I'd like like to fix the lav drain myself and intend to hire a professional to look everything over and pressure test the system prior to inspection. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

That system will work. sure, there are a some things that I would have done a little differently. Just call it in for inspection; tell the inspector that YOU did the work. You can call in a homeowner's permit and get it inspected. In fact, you should get it inspected.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks