Handheld & fixed shower head in same shower

Users who are viewing this thread

queenofthetile

Reaction score
My husband wants a fixed shower head in our new shower (one of those rain kind), and I want a handheld shower head (easier to clean the shower with, and when shaving, etc)

We have a moen tub/shower valve installed, but the tub side of the valve is plugged. I want to make it where the handheld shower hose uses this outlet, and the shower head uses the regular shower outlet on top.

What kind of attachments/fittings do I need to get to do this? Most of the handheld shower sprayers I've seen screw onto the shower arm. Is there a shower sprayer connection that goes directly into the wall?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I can't find anything specificly like this. I also wouldn't mind having one that attaches to the shower arm either (shower arm that switches from handheld to fixed by turning something), but I don't know where to look for those either.

Thanks for your help!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Karin, many valves do not allow you to use both outputs. You would also want, need, a divertor to allow you to use one or the other (both is an option, but the divertors get more expensive). If you can accept both on all the time, it's easier. You'd need either a stop valve to turn off each head, or a divertor valve.

Often what is done is to put a twin-el on the currently used output to send the water two places.

Yes, there are fixtures to mate a hose for a hand-held in a wall mount. Not sure if Moen makes one.

Mattbee24

In the Trades
Reaction score
Alsons has a wall mount outlet that could go in place of your current diverter spout. You can check it out at there website www.alsons.com. You will have to connect some type of diverter to this so it will work for the hand held and the regular shower head. They have the diverters to do this at Alsons also. I think the outlet you are looking for is a model 4980. Check it out and see if I am on the right track.

Matt

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Shower Head

They Make A Deverter That Mounts On The Shower Arm
That Allows You To Have A Fixed Shower Head And A Hand Held Coming Off The Side Push In For One Or Pull Out For The Other

I Have Used It Many Times Over The Years :d

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This would be what you want! Alsons #4923 it comes in many finishes.

ACC_WO_4923_big.jpg

in wants out

Reaction score
Alson's also makes a vac breaker which would be needed to prevent dirty water from possibly siphoning into the water system, if the handheld shower head is submerged in the wastewater, and causing any contamination. The handheld showerhead hose is threaded directly onto the breaker.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

You cannot use one opening for the shower and the other for the handheld. First you would need some way to divert between the two, and normally that is done with a control on the spout, which you would not have. Then, the back pressure of whatever, assuming the hand held, is connected to the tub port would force water out of the shower so both would be operating at all times when using the hand held. You need a multiport diverter if you want to do it from two different wall connections, or the shower arm diverter to do it all at the shower head.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks