Gutting my bath.. replace shower supply line or leave it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lithnights

Reaction score
I have my bath gutted. I need to replace the old shower faucet diverter with our new one.

While I'm doing this, should I replace the copper line running from the diverter up to the shower head? Or is this unnecessary? The lines look to be in OK shape so should I just leave it all alone? ie. if it's not broken, don't fix it?

1) What do most folks do when gutting a bath? Leave the existing visible supply and waste lines or replace?

2) To get the old diverter out, should I just heat up the joins to melt the solder and pry it free and then use the existing hot and cold lines? OR do people just cut it.. which would require more soldering to extend the supply pipe. I am assuming the former.

Thanks!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unless you have water conditions that corrode copper pipe, leave the old pipe. As far as question #2 is concerned, I think it will be easier in the long run to cut the old fixture out and configure the pipes to fit the new fixture. The additional amount of soldering is easily offset by the time and effort it takes to unsolder and clean the old pipe sufficiently to install the new fixture, and unless the new fixture is a mirror image of the old, the pipes won't match up anyway. It's lots easier to work with new pipe ends and new fittings than to salvage the old.

Prashster

Reaction score
Use as much of the old supply as possible. Don't waste ;)
Copper will last a long time.

However, I'd cut the end (about 3-6 inches) and solder in a new end with a coupler. Unsoldering, not bending the pipe, cleaning it, and getting it smooth enough to accept the new fitting are all pains better avoided.

Lithnights

Reaction score
Sounds good. I will make the cuts around the diverter and just solder a coupling 3-6" away each for the hot and cold; and one for the pipe running up to the shower head. That should allow me to leave most of the original..

Same question for the waste.. how about replacing the waste pipes under the tub? ie. the pipe from the tub drain to the overflow pipe. I ripped out the tub so I can see the whole drain waste assembly. Should I replace all this?

Thank you.

Prashster

Reaction score
Yeah, so for dimensioning reasons, you may need to move stuff. But if the drain pipes are clean and appropriately sized, and the welds are all strong, then there's no reason you need to replace them per se.

I would, however, take the time to clean them with bleach and a plastic brush. If you do that, they'll be as good as new.

I imagine the re-routing will require you to cut out and replace some fittings and add a little pipe, but again (sorry to lecture) don't waste plastic, and reuse as much of the usable old pipe as you can.

Lithnights

Reaction score
After looking at it and running to HD, I see what you are saying. I got an overflow kit which I can easily install.

My problem now is the actual drain pipe connection to the overflow pipe. It's not the standard simple layout I see in all my books. The drainpipe goes across the floor, It takes a 90 down then 90 up, then 90 right then a cleanout area with plug, then another 90... it's ugly. I actually bought a bunch of PVC connectors and am going to try to replicate the layout. This will be my project tomorrow…

Lithnights

Reaction score
Here's my new config compared to the old.. It matches the old contraptions dimensions so I am forging ahead.

The 2nd pic is where I had to cut into the main drain to connect the new configuration.

I know it's hard to tell from just pictures, but does it appear I am missing anything here?

Attachments

• DSCN2828_2.jpg
    DSCN2828_2.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 415
  • DSCN2827_2.jpg
    DSCN2827_2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 369
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks