Grout

Users who are viewing this thread

skipsleather

Reaction score
I am putting tile in my kitchen and have grouted the tile but I find that in some areas the grout continues to crack even after regrouting that area. What am I doing wrong?

interalian

Reaction score
There's a remodel forum, but:

1) is your subfloor strong? If not and the tiles move, the grout will crack
2) how wide are the grout lines? Wider lines need sanded grout.

HTH,
AD

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Cracks mean movement. Could be from numerous sources: subfloor too thin, improper thinset, no decoupling layer (cbu or membrane, or really expensive flexible thinset), joists too springy, you used mastic rather than thinset (bucket pre-mixed verses powder you mixed up), not enough coverage, you walked on the tile too soon after setting, etc.

A good place for tile info is www.johnbridge.com. They eat, drink, and sleep tile there.

Construct30

Reaction score
This should be in the remodel forum not plumbing, but I would guess bad backing, the tile is only as good as what is behind it and the glue you used. Corners will always crack and must be caulked.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks